Video length - the shorter the better?

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Gamer
I started doing shorter videos and people kept telling me to make them longer, so I did and my watchtime went way up. I've gone back to some shorter stuff only because of a lack of time, but for a while I did 15-20 min stuff regularly and really it's more about the content value and demand for that content and less about what the length of the video is. If it's a video that they want to watch and the amount of time fits the amount of information that you are sharing then you should be in good shape. I have a 4 min video over 100k views and I also have a 15min video over 100k views, so personally I think topic, title, thumbnail, and content value are much more important factors.

Liam O’Doyle

Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
  2. Guru
  3. Vlogger
  4. Reviewer
I’m a vlogger, so the length depends on how much footage i got and what story i’m telling. Sometimes is 5-6 mins sometimes its 12-15. I don’t think it matters how long the video is as long as you hook them in the first 10 seconds and keep it interesting. The thing with vloggers is that the viewers subscribe to the personality. Info/tutorial videos, people want to learn. Its gotta be detailed. If i’m looking for a how to video and the video is leas than 5 mins i assume not enough detail. More than 15 mins and too much detail or too slow and boring. Just my opinion though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Manny Teh

Manny Teh

Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
I do the same thing. I do generally have an idea of a target video length though based on the topic before I start editing based on the topic. nothing scientific just a simple topic I may feel should be 5-6 mins something that's a little more involved I may feel it should be covered within 10 mins ect.

yea it does all depends on the topic it seems, I have found that if it's an "In-depth review" it can go up to 10-15minutes long and tutorials one can go up to 25-30mins long.

anyone else found that you need to be consistently posting to get past that 4000 hours view in order to get your chance to be reviewed for monetization hard?

The number seem to drop if you dont consistently post over 1 year period of time. Real bummer that for people who doesn't have time and have other full time job to worry about as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1522837671,1522837477][/DOUBLEPOST]
I’m a vlogger, so the length depends on how much footage i got and what story i’m telling. Sometimes is 5-6 mins sometimes its 12-15. I don’t think it matters how long the video is as long as you hook them in the first 10 seconds and keep it interesting. The thing with vloggers is that the viewers subscribe to the personality. Info/tutorial videos, people want to learn. Its gotta be detailed. If i’m looking for a how to video and the video is leas than 5 mins i assume not enough detail. More than 15 mins and too much detail or too slow and boring. Just my opinion though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that is a very good point that, i have seen that most videos from top youtubers now covers mostly 8-12mins sort of time for their contents now, whether it be vlogs or tutorials.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Other
anyone else found that you need to be consistently posting to get past that 4000 hours view in order to get your chance to be reviewed for monetization hard?

I think uploading somewhat regularly really helps but what helps more than anything is having some video's that YouTube likes to continually promote over time. I upload between 2-4 times per month and I get quite a bit more daily watch time than needed to hit 4000 hours in a year. and only at 99 subscribers at the time of posting this

upload_2018-4-4_22-2-39.png

Reactions: Manny Teh

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
It depends on what your viewers want and how you make your videos IMO.. You can keep people watching if you make the videos interesting with a lot of action but that being said of course it is hard to fill 10 minutes time than 2:)

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
I never worry about video length when making a video. ALTHOUGH my best friend as an attention span of about 30 seconds.
I always try to trim out any pauses, dead space, umms, likes, etc to shorten the video. Try to keep it tight and flowing.
But most of my videos are 5-10 minutes in length.

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
My videos are usually under a minute long. Is this a reasonable length or should they be longer?

Last edited:

FireShock

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Reviewer
When I make my videos I try to aim for different lengths of time. So for example my discussions videos are usually the 6 to 7 minute mark around there. On my old channel my reviews were around 20 to 25 minutes. Some prefer long videos, some don't. I would say it doesn't hurt to apply to both. It mostly depends the content you make and what works better for the structure of the video itself.