Very disappointed with Pewdiepie and his comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even a Pewdiepie fan you're all just being really unintelligent

If data brought inside this topic wasn't enough, this is an extract form the article posted by the OP
tubefilter . c0m /2017/01/04/pewdiepie-rails-against-popular-toy-review-channel/

"But likes, comments, subscriptions, and viewcounts are a completely different ballgame in the realm of children’s videos, industry experts say.

Kids’ videos generally have a low engagement rate that hovers around 10%, says Melissa Hunter, the founder and CEO of Family Video Network, and star of YouTube’s popular Mommy And Gracie Show. She notes that viewers cannot comment, like, or subscribe within the YouTube Kids App, and that the nonsensical comments Kjellberg suspects are bots are “not evidence of anything other than tiny fingers on tablets and mom’s phone trying to comment but being unable to actually spell anything.”

As for Ryan’s video with 580 million views? Hunter explains that kids simply love to watch the same videos over and over again. “How many times does someone watch a PewDiePie video? Once, maybe twice if it was really funny. Not dozens of times like a toddler or pre-schooler will.” Hunter also says the fact that Ryan was one of the first Asian children to have a toy review channel in America has given him massive crossover appeal. “PewDiePie and others who are quick to claim botting need to take a look at Ryan and his family and realize that there are way more children on this planet with mobile devices and tablets who look like Ryan than there are young white men in their 20s.”

If your reply will be again one-worded with no insight whatsoever, I guess in the end probably you are just posting for the sake of posting and giving exposure to the video in your signature :)

If data brought inside this topic wasn't enough, this is an extract form the article posted by the OP
tubefilter . c0m /2017/01/04/pewdiepie-rails-against-popular-toy-review-channel/

"But likes, comments, subscriptions, and viewcounts are a completely different ballgame in the realm of children’s videos, industry experts say.

Kids’ videos generally have a low engagement rate that hovers around 10%, says Melissa Hunter, the founder and CEO of Family Video Network, and star of YouTube’s popular Mommy And Gracie Show. She notes that viewers cannot comment, like, or subscribe within the YouTube Kids App, and that the nonsensical comments Kjellberg suspects are bots are “not evidence of anything other than tiny fingers on tablets and mom’s phone trying to comment but being unable to actually spell anything.”

As for Ryan’s video with 580 million views? Hunter explains that kids simply love to watch the same videos over and over again. “How many times does someone watch a PewDiePie video? Once, maybe twice if it was really funny. Not dozens of times like a toddler or pre-schooler will.” Hunter also says the fact that Ryan was one of the first Asian children to have a toy review channel in America has given him massive crossover appeal. “PewDiePie and others who are quick to claim botting need to take a look at Ryan and his family and realize that there are way more children on this planet with mobile devices and tablets who look like Ryan than there are young white men in their 20s.”

If your reply will be again one-worded with no insight whatsoever, I guess in the end probably you are just posting for the sake of posting and giving exposure to the video in your signature :)

On the other hand I don't care whatever made up information you post, neither does anyone else here. You keep mentioning this YouTube Kids app, I've got friends working in kindergartens, schools, everywhere, even pre-k, and unfortunately all of them have phones at that young age, and not one of them has the YouTube Kids app, well to be more exact they do, but they use the actual YouTube app so that they can like the videos they like and watch them again later.
Debunked, bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good thread. Let's ensure it stays open.

Stay on topic and stay objective. Make your cases without resorting to personal insults and no value posts such as "ignorant" or "TL;DR"

Temp bans will be given out to anyone in this thread from now on who ignores those guidelines. Thank you.

One data point accusers keep bringing up is the subscribers to view count relationship. I will help fill in some gaps for those not familiar with the Kids/Toys vertical.

I've looked at my friends channel in a slightly different segment of Kids (Children's Music). The total number of views is around 200M to give you an idea of the data size.

The channel's "Subscribed to Not Subscribed watch time" is 95% Not Subscribed, 5% Subscribed

I don't think RTR's ratio is as skewed as the channel I've examined, but I do believe many of RTR hardcore fans are not subscribers, because babies and toddlers rely on their parents to subscribe. Furthermore, many users do not have a google account to become a subscriber.

My guess is of the 5+M subscribers, many of them are extremely active and watch new content daily, which helps the channel in the "Search and Rank" system, propelling their videos to become "Suggested Video" on the home page and through other videos with similar audiences and keywords.

So you have over a million loyal subscribers, a ton of loyal non-subscribers (that see RTR's video in their homepage because Google tracks their watch time behavior), and even more viewers who see their videos through "Suggested Videos" via strong SEO (competitive keywords, noncompetitive keywords, and trending topic) and their very strong watch time metrics.

When you consider the viewing habits of 1-4 year old (re-watching videos, rewinding to funny moments and sound effects, getting stuck in comments using the Standard YouTube mobile app), the numbers add up in my view. Do you remember when you were young? Did you wear out a DVD or VHS cassette tape because you constantly rewatched them..it took time to rewind movies or use the remote to a bookmark? Today's kids don't face that problem with YouTube mobile app; one swipe brings them instantaneous gratification and they can easily find something new. It's an endless carousel of entertainment which frightens me because I know the impact of addiction in early childhood development.

Also, many channels in this segment rely on "Suggested Videos" or "Home" page views rather than the Subscriber feed. Roughly 60% of my friend's watch time was driven by Suggested Videos. You do not need to be a subscriber of RTR to see their videos being suggested to you. You just need the view history (e.g. watch a Toy Unboxing, watch an episode of a cartoon like Paw Patrol, watch a spider man video). Their view time metrics are very strong and will rank for many, many kids related topics. This isn't driven by cheating. It's partly driven by SEO, but mostly by their CONTENT with high session watch time for *their* audience. This high watch time is facilitated by, in my view, giving little kids the power to navigate YouTube on a phone using the STANDARD APP, not YouTube Kids.

On the other hand I don't care whatever made up information you post, neither does anyone else here. You keep mentioning this YouTube Kids app, I've got friends working in kindergartens, schools, everywhere, even pre-k, and unfortunately all of them have phones at that young age, and not one of them has the YouTube Kids app, well to be more exact they do, but they use the actual YouTube app so that they can like the videos they like and watch them again later.
Debunked, bye.

YouTube Kids app is still rolling out. Many parents don't know about it. In 2016, less than 10% of my friend's traffic was through this app. Since Parents are still using YouTube main mobile app, kids are able to "comment" (which is really getting stuck in the comment box), and watch any content they want since there are no strong filtering controls like in YouTube Kids. This creates monster kids channels with content, some people may find questionable, but flourish due to stronger view time. ("pregnant spider mommy reckless runs over paw patrol who cut finger" type of titles)

If you do have a large network of friends with kids at a preschool age range, would you please conduct a mini poll and ask them about how they use YouTube and what channels they or their kids watch? How much time does an average preschool spend in one session? Do they watch the same videos? How does that compare to other segments of youtube?

Thanks to those who are patient enough to read through my post. I just want to explain the RTR phenomenon with data and real life observation. If you don't believe my data and want a mod to verify me, I'm up for it as long as their is anonymity...or we can ask another user to post their stats.

TLDR
1. You can view a youtube video that explain why Kids Channels get so many views and their metrics seem off compared to other segments search for Why Toy Unboxing and Other Kid Videos Get So Many Views Explained by user VanDeGraph
2. Most Kids views come from families who are not subscribed (based on limited data)
3. Most kids views rely on Homepage and Suggested Video view, not the subscriber feed (based on limited data)

I don't know if it's his ego boosted by the fame, but I unsubscribed long ago for the same reason. Back when he disabled the comments for a while, I saw that as a HUGE disrespect to his fans, why did they got punished for what the trolls where doing? Later I came back to find a video of him mocking vegans, which I am. Even if I was not, the video was very disrespectful. He was not like this, but he changed and became bratty. It's a shame.:(

Because a child of that age cannot legally consent to anything, they are at the mercy of their parents. In a few years time, said child may not be comfortable with their face being all over the internet, watched by millions.

The safest option for everyone is to only put someone online when they're over the age of youtube's guidelines.
I agree, they can be casually in their parents videos and then make their own if they want when they are of age. But the problem with very young kids is that they loose interest, or they might not want to stick to the schedule and process of making videos.

Wow the pewdiepie's fans is pretty much attacking this kid on his most popular video pretty much almost half of his like:dislike ratio are dislikes. I do find this theory interesting however im not saying its true or this kid deserves the backlash but what if pewdiepie's right? I did some research and in almost 2 years he reached over 6 million subscribers and around 10 billion viwes which could lead to 3 things. 1)the kid's parents have a lot of connections which leads to the insane amount of views he haves 2)just plain luck that his channel blew up or 3)his parents must have paid his views like pewdiepie suggested.At the end of the day I have no idea why Pewdiepie even waste his time attacking a 5 year olds channel but what do know because of this issue we might need some answers......"might"

Wow the pewdiepie's fans is pretty much attacking this kid on his most popular video pretty much almost half of his like:dislike ratio are dislikes. I do find this theory interesting however im not saying its true or this kid deserves the backlash but what if pewdiepie's right? I did some research and in almost 2 years he reached over 6 million subscribers and around 10 billion viwes which could lead to 3 things. 1)the kid's parents have a lot of connections which leads to the insane amount of views he haves 2)just plain luck that his channel blew up or 3)his parents must have paid his views like pewdiepie suggested.At the end of the day I have no idea why Pewdiepie even waste his time attacking a 5 year olds channel but what do know because of this issue we might need some answers......"might"

Ryan's channel is legit and they built it up from scratch. Just because pewdiepie and mainstream media have only just discovered this channel and how big the kids niche is, doesn't mean it happened overnight. I realise many gamers seem to think gaming is the only big genre that exists on YouTube, but that really isn't the case. There are loads of HUGE channels from different niches to gaming run by creators who simply prefer to fly under the radar (unlike pewdiepie and others)

In terms of daily views (which is the best measure of a channel's size IMHO), Ryan's channel (and many others in that same niche) has been bigger than pewdiepie's probably for over a year. The fact that pewdiepie didn't even know this until a few weeks ago says a lot more about pewdiepie's ignorance and /or arrogance than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back