Understanding Revenue Share | How 70/30 can be better than 90/10

Nikola Tefov

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Network shall pay to Partner eighty percent (80%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain twenty percent (20%) of Gross Receipts on platform-sold revenues (i.e. directly from YouTube, SoundCloud, DailyMotion, etc.), and shall pay to Partner sixty-five percent (65%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain thirty-five percent (35%) of Gross Receipts on "Network"sold revenues (“Revenue Share”).

Is this meens that i get 80 % of the earnings and the network get 35% of the 20% that i earned and 65% to YouTube.

This is from my contract.
Can anyone help ?

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Network shall pay to Partner eighty percent (80%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain twenty percent (20%) of Gross Receipts on platform-sold revenues (i.e. directly from YouTube, SoundCloud, DailyMotion, etc.), and shall pay to Partner sixty-five percent (65%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain thirty-five percent (35%) of Gross Receipts on "Network"sold revenues (“Revenue Share”).

Is this meens that i get 80 % of the earnings and the network get 35% of the 20% that i earned and 65% to YouTube.

This is from my contract.
80% of anything Google sells and 65% of anything additional the network sells.

XXChocoboJoe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is incredibly helpful, thank you for making this. I would have been the first person to think ' oh hell yeah, 90/10 is the way to go!' If the time for a partnership ever comes up, ill be sure to remember this post, thanks again!

scifiriot

I have a laser, pew pew
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can anyone help ?
80% of anything Google sells and 65% of anything additional the network sells.
Tarmack is right, when ads run against your videos, the MCN takes 20% of your cut (after YT takes their share) from adds sold by Google/YT. However, the MCN ("Network") also has a sales team trying to sell ads for their videos - when they do that, they take 35% of your cut (after Google's share) instead.

However, as I said in my post on page 2, the important part isn't how much they're taking, it's what are they offering you in exchange. If I told you "hey, every time you have a dollar, give me a dime for doing nothing in return." you'd (hopefully) say no, because even though it's only 10% of your dollar, I didn't do anything to deserve it.

However, if I said "I'm going to work my butt off and really help you make a bunch of dollars, but in exchange I'm going to take 40 cents of each one for myself" it would be a different scenario, because your keeping 60% of a lot of dollars you wouldn't have without me.

So before you worry about what they're taking, figure out what they're offering. Only then can you decide if the split they require is worth it.

Reactions: markkaz

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Too bad some contracts aren't open to negotiation, but the growth is entirely worth it ^^

Neko

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Animator
Very detailed Information and it is nicely split up in muliple part
I realy like it and i hope to see even more helpfull thing
im currently haev a 60/40 with the direct mcn but that is good enough for me :D

dillonsup

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks Now I Can Get Better Deals, Thank you Very Much.