Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Understanding Revenue Share | How 70/30 can be better than 90/10

Discussion in 'YouTube Networks, Monetization and Partnerships' started by Tarmack, Jul 25, 2013.

1. XtremeN00Bz
    Posting Mad!
    Cash:
    $169
    This helped a lot man thanks! Never knew this was possible I'm trying to learn more about networks and contracts!

2. Joost
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $68
    Are there actually still networks that currently offer net splits? I haven't seen it anymore lately.

3. JCIGames
    Cash:
    $3
    This was really helpful to know for when we apply for a partnership thanks!

4. Tarmack
    Rhetorical Porcupine
    Cash:
    $246
    Not overtly in the contract. In fact I don't think any of them ever did. I still suspect that BBTV sub-networks pay BBTV first and rev share after though.

markkaz likes this.
  5. ImperatorRZ
    Cash:
    $55
    I am so glad I read this before getting into the Network game. It's confusing enough as it is without adding that onto it. This is the post that instantly made me create an account on this forum.

6. Wizz
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $20
    Your probably someone who could enlighten me right now,

I'm in a situation where I'm partnered on a 60/40 split in the last month's I have gained a hell of a lot of views and another Network has offered me 80/20 split I told my current Network I wished to leave (not just because the revenue share was higher I find it hard to contact them and had to wait a week and sent in 2 emails!) they replied with they would offer me more and upped it to 90/10.

I have been asking what I'll be receiving.. 90% of what? - What question do I need to ask to find this information out?

Now here's where it gets fishy.. EVERY TIME I ask that question they manage to dodge it or change the subject? Also, they said they would make my new revenue split of 90% active as of the 1st of October (yes, October not November).

This, for me is alarming as they are so adamant to keep me, why? I have no idea.

I really need some advice on how to read the contract thoroughly and where it states weather a sub-network will be taking a % as well as the network it's self.

If anyone can advise me in my situation, please reply.

Many thanks, Wizz

7. Tarmack
    Rhetorical Porcupine
    Cash:
    $246
    You left out some specifics that would help, but here goes.

Let me know if these assumptions are correct. You were offered 80/20 by Zoomin.TV, Forela Digital or a sub-network under one of those two. You are currently with TGN getting 60/40, due to your channel being claimed by BBTV and the fact that they're making offers to keep you means you're either at the end of your contract or are on the old TGN month to month.

Some advice. It sets off alarm bells to see a change from 60/40 to 90/10 within the same network. Gives you a good indication that you've been getting screwed for a while. Second, it makes you question whether the second offer is any good.

The question you need answers is exactly what you proposed. You need to know what the 90/10 is a split of. If it is a split of the Estimated Earnings as per YouTube analytics, then it's a good offer that you should consider depending on what the rest of the contract terms are. They won't likely let you stay on a month to month when renewing new contracts now. If however they cannot or are not willing to outright answer that question (and it's a pretty simply one), then it's safe to assume that Broadband TV is getting paid first and you're splitting what's left with TGN. In that case it would be a net revenue share and since you'll never know how much BBTV is actually getting paid, I'd avoid that kind of agreement. Most of the TGN contract negotiations these days involve a small upfront payment in exchange for signing to a 2 year deal.

At the end of the day, if the network can't give you upfront honest answers then they simply can't be trusted. And if they don't answer the question "90% of what?" in a reasonable fashion, they're not worth the time of day.

On the sub-network part of your question, all the time. Every sub-network takes a piece and every parent MCN gets a piece. The question is the same as the 90/10 thing for you though, a piece of what. Most networks run a Gross Split, so YouTube takes their 45% and the remaining is split per the revenue share agreement. In the case of Zoomin for example, the 80/20. The 20% is just split half and half by the sub-network and Zoomin. Ultimately, everyone needs to get paid for the work they are putting into this kind of thing. The big concern is whether money leaves the equation between YouTube getting paid and the revenue share being applied. And it seems unlikely that TGN and BBTV are realy splitting the 10% 50/50.

8. sorinvoiculescutv
    Posting Mad!
    Cash:
    $28
    Awesome post. Well i almost signed up with fullscreen and I chose the 70/30 split of earnings. Hope I`ll hear from them soon.

9. Nikola Tefov
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $113
    Network shall pay to Partner eighty percent (80%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain twenty percent (20%) of Gross Receipts on platform-sold revenues (i.e. directly from YouTube, SoundCloud, DailyMotion, etc.), and shall pay to Partner sixty-five percent (65%) of Gross Receipts and shall retain thirty-five percent (35%) of Gross Receipts on "Network"sold revenues (“Revenue Share”).

Is this meens that i get 80 % of the earnings and the network get 35% of the 20% that i earned and 65% to YouTube.

This is from my contract.

10. markkaz
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $89
    Why would they get a cut of the revenue on SoundCloud? I'm ignorant and I am not aware of how revenue is generated from SoundCloud.