Thumbnail workflow

hexteria

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your guys process is when creating thumbnails.

Personally I do it FIRST, then start shooting/editing the vid.

I think it's nice to not have to worry about it when I'm tired after editing something like 5 hours long.

Wondering if you guys do something similar?

Thanks,
Owen.

I make the thumbnail once the video is done, in case I want to use a screenshot from the video and cut an image out.

I try to think about what I want my thumbnail to look like before I film. While I'm filming, I take a few pics as I know I have a certain 'look' I am going for (for branding). I want to be just left of center, so I can put text on the right side of the pic. I also want to make sure I am showing my smiling face.

I should probably take more time with my thumbnails. I log on to canva while the video is uploading, choose my favourite image, add my channel logo, and download. All done in about 2 minutes.

For my thumbnails I use screenshots from my videos so I wait until I finish shooting and a majoring of the time after editing. My typical process is shoot, edit, then while the edit is exporting I go to work on my thumbnail in Photoshop. Sometimes I know what I want the thumbnail to look like before I edit, but usually I don’t figure it out until I’m finished editing so I typically make my thumbnails last. Sometimes I even make them while my video is being uploaded to YouTube

Back