Thumbnail workflow

hexteria

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your guys process is when creating thumbnails.

Personally I do it FIRST, then start shooting/editing the vid.

I think it's nice to not have to worry about it when I'm tired after editing something like 5 hours long.

Wondering if you guys do something similar?

Thanks,
Owen.

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I make the thumbnail once the video is done, in case I want to use a screenshot from the video and cut an image out.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I create my thumbnails after I edit my videos that way I know exactly what I need and want in that thumbnail.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Due to the nature of my channel (cooking) I have to make my thumbnails after filming, because I need photos of the food for the thumbnail.

TastesSeoulGood

Vlogging my adventures in Korea
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I try to think about what I want my thumbnail to look like before I film. While I'm filming, I take a few pics as I know I have a certain 'look' I am going for (for branding). I want to be just left of center, so I can put text on the right side of the pic. I also want to make sure I am showing my smiling face.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I should probably take more time with my thumbnails. I log on to canva while the video is uploading, choose my favourite image, add my channel logo, and download. All done in about 2 minutes.

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
For my thumbnails I use screenshots from my videos so I wait until I finish shooting and a majoring of the time after editing. My typical process is shoot, edit, then while the edit is exporting I go to work on my thumbnail in Photoshop. Sometimes I know what I want the thumbnail to look like before I edit, but usually I don’t figure it out until I’m finished editing so I typically make my thumbnails last. Sometimes I even make them while my video is being uploaded to YouTube