Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, but you definitely helped me.

• No because you didn't help me.

• Total voters

IB360HD

Hey guys.

If you don't know me yet, which you shouldn't (haha), it's your boy IB360HD.

I am here to share with you guys my ways on getting higher audience retention.
I have a 70-80% average audience retention rate, which yes, I know is very low.

While I offer my advice to you all, I also want this thread to be a discussion post on what you guys do in your videos that you believe helps raise your audience retention. I only know of three definite ways to raise your audience retention and I will share them with you all below. Now, before I begin, most of you may have heard these before but truthfully, I want to explain to you all how IMPORTANT these are...

NUMBER 1: The MOST important aspect of audience retention is video time. Very seldom will someone that you didn't refer to your video, or that knows nothing about you, watch your entire video. YouTube suggests that you keep videos in between 2-4 minutes for the best audience retention. I know, that in some of the field that you are in, that you cannot keep it that short (i.e. cars). What I'm here to say is that the shorter the video, the better because it shows your ability to tell a lot of information in a short period of time.

For example, I watch a lot of videos that are like freaking six or seven minutes long with two-four minutes worth of pure entertainment, or information. Why aren't these videos two to four minutes long lmao? I'm no perfectionist or wizard but I know one thing, dead time in your videos will kill you. There should be very few moments of pure silence in your videos and even less time of non-entertaining or informative film in your videos.

People! VINE & INSTAGRAM video have made people SO damn lazy that they can't wait for entertainment or information! Don't make them wait! Cut out ALL boring or non-productive time in your video and cut down the time stamp. A 3:50 long video looks so much more attractive than a 5:30 video EVEN THOUGH both videos have the same amount of entertainment or laughs. Trust me guys, trust me, trust me... EVERY frame cut counts and every second less counts.

NUMBER 2: INTROS OMFG

Let me start off by saying this, nobody that doesn't give a general f**k about you is going to sit through a long intro. People have the attention spans of lions over dead meat. They aren't going to sit there and not attack, they're going to attack. In english, people are not going to sit there and wait for entertainment or information, they want it QUICKLY. A thirty second introduction is not quickly! My introduction is 8 seconds and sometimes I feel that is too long! Every second within your first 15-30 seconds of your video is crucial! If you're not getting right into your point or building suspense toward your video then people will leave. No time whatsoever for some long a**, generic a** introduction.

While we are on the topic of introductions, I would also like to point out the fact that you should always use your introduction as a cliff hanger. For example, ever watch "Shark Tank?" Well one of the sharks always bids and then another shark will counter BUT WHAT ALWAYS HAPPENS BEFORE THE SECOND SHARK PLACES THEIR BID? COMMERCIAL! They always build suspense and force you to watch the commercials or come back to the content after commercials to keep you wondering "damn, what is ______'s offer?"

WHY NOT DO THAT FOR YOUR VIDEOS?! After I implemented this tactic, i've seen a raise in my audience retention because it always leaves the viewer like "Damn, what does he mean by that?"

For example, in my last video, I said "Hello guys. If you don't know me, my name is IB360HD, and today... I AM p****d!" Cue intro. Most people are wondering now, why is he mad? What's he p****d about? Damn let me give it a few more seconds to see what he's mad about.

In another one of my videos, "How to catch the come up", I introduced the video by playing a clip where it says "I'm in here thirstier than two white (explicative) that just seen they first black dude." CUE INTRO! Now, with most people, they probably laughed at was like "haha that was funny I might enjoy this video" or they might have been like "Why is he in CVS?" or they might have still been stunned by the joke I just made. No matter what they've thought, I bought myself more time for my video!

LEAVE YOUR VIEWERS WITH A REASON TO WATCH MORE WITHIN THE FIRST 15-30 SECONDS!

Ever since I started using this tactic, when done right, your video will get a shot at actually being watched! If your content is good, your retention will go up! You only have to hook a viewer once, so why not?

NUMBER 3: ANNOTATIONS REFERING A VIDEO TO ANOTHER VIDEO... IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR VIDEO!!!!

Omg let me say this if I see anybody doing this I'm really going to have to dislike their video for being so damn IDIOTIC! What the HELL is running through your mind where halfway through a 5 minute video, you offer your viewer a chance to LEAVE YOUR VIDEO and go watch another? If you are one of the idiots that make a 5 minute video just to encourage someone to leave it halfway through... MAKE A TWO AND A HALF MINUTE VIDEO!!! That's like you're selling video games and somebody is so interested in buying Call of Duty that they have the freaking cash in hand and then you sell them battlefield instead... WHAT?! THEY MIGHT NOT EVEN LIKE BATTLEFIELD!!!!

OH MY GOD I legitimately am NOT going to go any further into this dumb (explicative) tactic because it's actually giving me a headache typing about it.

Thanks to all who have read this long thread and I am looking forward to hearing your tips and feedback. Truthfully. This was not written in academic format because just like you all, I am human and I will to show true importance and passion in the way I feel toward certain subjects. Don't like it? Don't read.

I hope for two things:
1 - That you read this entire thread, and that is helps your channel and your audience retention.
2 - That I get a sticky on this thread because people need to hear this stuff I legitimately see these tactics happen too much and it KILLS peoples videos.

Great tips! Before i clicked on this i was like "if his tips are anything stupid that we all should know by now (like upload frequency), i'm gonna slap him".
Couldn't agree more : Don't redirect your audience, keep that sh!t short as possible, don't beg for likes, and quit wasting time making those long A$$ intro's

Great tips! Before i clicked on this i was like "if his tips are anything stupid that we all should know by now (like upload frequency), i'm gonna slap him".
Couldn't agree more : Don't redirect your audience, keep that sh!t short as possible, don't beg for likes, and quit wasting time making those long A$$ intro's

Trust me my guy I tried my hardest to dig deeper than the basics. IM GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND! Hopefully more people have a mind like yours because it's really not that hard but I see some people doing just the dumbest, most unattractive things on their YouTube videos and I'm just like ... are you serious? Like, even the thought of mid-video referrals makes me cringe.

are you serious? Like, even the thought of mid-video referrals makes me cringe.
Yeah it's odd but YouTube actually encourages it! They say to put the link at a point in the video where a lot of viewers usually decide to leave. I guess it's better to direct them to another video than someone else's or have them leave YT entirely.

This is a great post. Most of these things I had already learned myself through studying audience retention, but EVERYONE needs to know this stuff. Especially linking to another video in the middle of one. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!

Great post, man.

Great post and very helpful! I have to admit I do that with having a card in the middle of the video to link to a another video/playlist. I could be wrong but I read somewhere that you should check your analytics and look at the point where u see the most drop in views, right before that point, you should put link to another video. If I'm wrong, I should stop doing that because you're right , it does hurt audience retention

So if the goal is to increase viewer's total watch time, wouldn't putting links before low spots in audience retention help direct viewers to content they would rather see, potentially increasw session view time overall?

Yeah it's odd but YouTube actually encourages it! They say to put the link at a point in the video where a lot of viewers usually decide to leave. I guess it's better to direct them to another video than someone else's or have them leave YT entirely.

Well, looking at it from that aspect, yes, I would rather refer a viewer to another one of my videos but if your viewers are losing interest in your videos half way through... you're not producing good content lmfao like let's be real now. The only way a viewer leaves a video early is if they're not entertained or not learning what they want to at their pace. I do like the input you put in, but that should also lead somebody to check out their videos and realize why people are leaving.[DOUBLEPOST=1445574524,1445574413][/DOUBLEPOST]
Great post and very helpful! I have to admit I do that with having a card in the middle of the video to link to a another video/playlist. I could be wrong but I read somewhere that you should check your analytics and look at the point where u see the most drop in views, right before that point, you should put link to another video. If I'm wrong, I should stop doing that because you're right , it does hurt audience retention

Yeah. You are saying the same thing as the post above and I think it all comes down to "How do I keep my audience entertained enough so that they don't leave my video?"

If people are leaving your video halfway through, they're not the problem. Especially if it's common among many different viewers, you know?[DOUBLEPOST=1445574676][/DOUBLEPOST]
So if the goal is to increase viewer's total watch time, wouldn't putting links before low spots in audience retention help direct viewers to content they would rather see, potentially increasw session view time overall?

I hear you out on this one and I'll give you the same answer cause I won't change it even though it's a different person. It's a decent tactic when you look at it from that perspective, but if you have a common low dropoff point in a video, or several videos, it's you. Analyze that drop-off point and backtrack the past 15 seconds and see if anything you've said or done was not entertaining, informative or just dead time. My goal is for people to eliminate the low point of their video, instead of trying to deal with the low point of their video and use it to redirect traffic.[DOUBLEPOST=1445574750][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is a great post. Most of these things I had already learned myself through studying audience retention, but EVERYONE needs to know this stuff. Especially linking to another video in the middle of one. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!

Great post, man.

Thanks man I appreciate the love. Hopefully you enjoyed some of my content so you can see how I really work this stuff into my videos and apply it. I'm trying to get my average retention rate into the high 80%s.

This is the correct answer. Referring them at low points keeps them on your channel thereby increasing session time. Watch time is the only stat more important than audience retention, so it makes sense.

If you think your average audience retention rate around 75% is low...

I don't want to think how to call my average retention rate of 25% :confused::confusedphones:

Back