The Commentary Community

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Now, I'm sure you've heard of the infamous LeafyIsHere or Pyrocynical or anyone else who just happens to talk about stuff while playing an irrelevant game in the background. But, the big question here is, what is happening to this community? Perhaps one of the most infamously toxic communities? Several people claim it could be a lot of things, for example, Leafy being exposed on numerous accounts for backstabbing and the like, and as he was head of the commentary community, the community, itself, crumbled beneath him. Another theory is that the commentary community peaked when Keemstar Exposed became a popular trend, and these channels were feeding and prospering off drama. But as drama is dying down, so are these channels. And ANOTHER theory is that YouTube, itself, is trying to purge channels like these off their website for creating toxic communities. This is supported by the notable absences of several big YouTubers in the YouTube rewind. So, what do YOU all think of what is happening to the commentary community? Does it have a chance of rising from the ashes or will it continue to remain an endangered genre?

I started my channel with commentary videos after watching Pyro and I continued with it for a fair few months. I noticed it got a lot of likes and people really enjoyed the content but I didn't like the idea of ripping it on pretty much everyone. I think the whole Leafy dying off is great because you can only do something like that for so long before it bites you in the a*s. The whole commentary thing is disappearing though and I reckon it's down to people seeing Leafy bringing out sh*tty content and realising that it's become stale.

I might see it as if the commentary community goes down, the community will be more desperate to stay relevant, and become more toxic!

The commentary channels were a small part in why I didn't start youtube sooner. I was so worried about being picked up by some teenager behind a screen and ripping into me, that I know I'd react badly and probably cause more drama! Unnecessary abuse is uncalled for, especially picking on smaller channels that just want to make videos. I've seen small channels get thousands of subscribers that are purely there to abuse the creator, without any interest in their content. I'm glad leafy got his comeuppance, it was duly deserved. I mean there's probably a bunch load of decent impartial commentary channels, but leafy basically trashed the niche

@Hazzador made some really good points about these channels in a recent video; they're like vloggers but talk about other people instead of themselves. Creating an negative representation of other YouTuber's for the sole purpose of growing your channel is wrong - and these channels are often nothing short of BULLYING.

I am glad that these kind of Youtubers are dying off. I do not like people spreading negativity to other people just because they do not someone elses content.
For some reason I also think Youtube agrees with this, because I haven't seen a commentary video like Leafy in my recommendation feed for months.

@Hazzador made some really good points about these channels in a recent video; they're like vloggers but talk about other people instead of themselves. Creating an negative representation of other YouTuber's for the sole purpose of growing your channel is wrong - and these channels are often nothing short of BULLYING.
You are too kind ;D

It seems to happen to all of these "drama"-style communities. They always eat their own. I don't know anything about the folks you mentioned, but there's a whole "beauty guru gossip" thing that has been going round and round on YouTube, and there are people who talk about beauty gurus, and then people who talk about the people who talk about beauty gurus, and then people who make comments about the people who talk about the people who talk about beauty gurus.

It's all about the same tiny bit of information (someone isn't disclosing a sponsorship, or someone is racist/sexist/etc.) that's endlessly hashed over by people who form tenuous relationships with each other and with their audiences for the small bit of dopamine that gets released by your brain when someone says something mean or gossipy. But they all start to turn on one another (this happens ever more quickly from one of these channels to the next) because there's so little gossip to actually comment on, and it's so uninteresting at its core that they have to find other things to snipe about, and the nearest victim is usually someone else in their own communities.

i'm not too sure if anybodys going to see this (im new to the site) but i started a channel a couple of weeks ago and its full of terrible jokes and memes try to check it out?

Back