Teaching videos, how?

Hey guys!
I have a YouTube Channel and i wanted to start some lessons about drums
I'm a full time drummer...
what advice can you guys give me, cause i'm also still limited about equipment like cameras and other stuff.
I have only my Blackberry Z10, and i really don't know if it could work...

Your ideas are most welcomed

search through your apps to find an editing app itll be easier than uploading the videos from your phone to your computer...but you can always do the computer thing by sending whatever videos you record as an email to yourself and open the files in windows movie maker on your computer...youtube is the best place for "how to's" as you know so search on how to edit videos and as youll learn youll end up figuring out your own style of how you like your videos to look and go from there...recording an intro like a preview to show people what to look forward to on your channel maybe of you playing different songs and mixing in you talking about notes to keep it fresh.

In terms of equipment there are three important things: light, camera and audio.

Lighting can be done quite easily and cheap, you can just use any lamps you have in you house. Make sure you are well lit, preferably from at least two sides.

Camera is a bit trickier. You want to have at least 720p (HD quality), a lot of people just don't settle for anything less any more. Your Blackberry probably has a mini usb cable which allows you to connect it to your pc, so importing the files won't be a very big problem. I would say, test out the camera and show the footage on a pc/laptop (important, not on your phone) and let them judge the quality. Ask them if they would keep watching if they encountered a YT video with such quality.

Lastly, and most importantly if you are doing drum tutorials, is audio. I would strongly recommend you to invest in a microphone. A lot of people who follow music tutorials (myself included) LISTEN so much more than they watch! You can get away with 480p quality video quality, but poor audio will be an absolute channel killer. Phones have quite okay microphones, but I'm sure they won't keep up with the high and low tones a drum kit can produce.

Hope this helped!

search through your apps to find an editing app itll be easier than uploading the videos from your phone to your computer...but you can always do the computer thing by sending whatever videos you record as an email to yourself and open the files in windows movie maker on your computer...youtube is the best place for "how to's" as you know so search on how to edit videos and as youll learn youll end up figuring out your own style of how you like your videos to look and go from there...recording an intro like a preview to show people what to look forward to on your channel maybe of you playing different songs and mixing in you talking about notes to keep it fresh.

Awesome stuff man...
Thank you so much for helping me in this
I'll will check on YouTube to find :)

In terms of equipment there are three important things: light, camera and audio.

Lighting can be done quite easily and cheap, you can just use any lamps you have in you house. Make sure you are well lit, preferably from at least two sides.

Camera is a bit trickier. You want to have at least 720p (HD quality), a lot of people just don't settle for anything less any more. Your Blackberry probably has a mini usb cable which allows you to connect it to your pc, so importing the files won't be a very big problem. I would say, test out the camera and show the footage on a pc/laptop (important, not on your phone) and let them judge the quality. Ask them if they would keep watching if they encountered a YT video with such quality.

Lastly, and most importantly if you are doing drum tutorials, is audio. I would strongly recommend you to invest in a microphone. A lot of people who follow music tutorials (myself included) LISTEN so much more than they watch! You can get away with 480p quality video quality, but poor audio will be an absolute channel killer. Phones have quite okay microphones, but I'm sure they won't keep up with the high and low tones a drum kit can produce.

Hope this helped!

Wow! Dutchie you are so awesome...
For the lighting it's almost the same idea i had, but was not that sure about.
I was actually having some funny ideas in my head, your text gives me more hope to continue believing that i can actually do it...

For the Camera, yeah i want to use my Blackberry for the moment since i don't yet have a real camera(but i hope to have it the soonest possible :) )
I have also checked some of your videos, and I can say that they are just so beautiful...
I would really want to know how you do them:)
Thanks for your idea about judging the video quality, awesome...

And The SOUND, ooo my...
This is the thing that I'm not allowed to joke with, cause it's actually the main reason of my channel...
Because has you said, music is about sound first.
I actually had an idea of going to a certain studio, record my lessons then take the videos directly:)
I still also looking for the recording studio with some good sound, and good drum kit also...
Hope tings will get better and i will get my own stuff then just do it in my house:(

Thank you so much for contributing with the knowledge...
I really appreciate:)

According to Techradar.com, the Z10 can record in 1080p, which is plenty for video. You could also acquire a lavalier mic for slightly better sound. There are mounts for camera tripods that adapt to hold a cell phone for recording. Best of luck to you!

Wow! Dutchie you are so awesome...
For the lighting it's almost the same idea i had, but was not that sure about.
I was actually having some funny ideas in my head, your text gives me more hope to continue believing that i can actually do it...

For the Camera, yeah i want to use my Blackberry for the moment since i don't yet have a real camera(but i hope to have it the soonest possible :) )
I have also checked some of your videos, and I can say that they are just so beautiful...
I would really want to know how you do them:)
Thanks for your idea about judging the video quality, awesome...

And The SOUND, ooo my...
This is the thing that I'm not allowed to joke with, cause it's actually the main reason of my channel...
Because has you said, music is about sound first.
I actually had an idea of going to a certain studio, record my lessons then take the videos directly:)
I still also looking for the recording studio with some good sound, and good drum kit also...
Hope tings will get better and i will get my own stuff then just do it in my house:(

Thank you so much for contributing with the knowledge...
I really appreciate:)

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm just happy to help n.n sorry for the late reply, I was moving to England. Let me know if you need any more help. JohnBeazy makes some good points as well :)

Back