Starting YouTube as a living?

The sad thing is I actually do have FULL time to work on my youtube channel, currently unemployed and not going to school. alrite heres how my days usually go; I usually sleep in till 12PM-1PM, Editing a video takes me an hour or two (depending on the video of course) so usually done editing at 3pm. It takes another hour for PPro to convert a video into youtube format (again depends on length of the video) AND for youtube to process it when its uploading.

By the time this is all done, I FINALLY take a break to eat something/watch some youtube videos/play something.

Around 7-9PM I am promoting my videos everywhere, twitter, google+, here of course, neoseeker forums, steam, etc.

9PM-10Pm -Watch TV lol, The Voice, Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Netflix, etc.

10:30PM -11:00 PM - Plan out waht to play on my stream

11:00PM - 3:00 AM (Varies slightly) Do my Livestream on Twitch!

3:00AM - 5:00AM (sometimes 6am) Record videos.

Rinse and Repeat!

Eating AFTER converting/processing? You're wasting time there, buddy.

You are practical, I'm assuming I make a video like how Animals Eat and go super viral.

Most of the time those still don't get you to that point. They give you a one time spike, but not that much a steady income. The main advantage is that you have some money on the side (if you're saving it) to help you through bad cpm/view periods but you still need to get that steady money going before you run out of that jackpot money. And: Yes, I need to be that practical I'm freelancing in a tough industry, freelancers have to be practical and as a YouTuber you are pretty much a freelancer.

As full time, I would probably spend about 25+ hours practicing repertoire to upload, at least upload once a week, then 10 hours or so polishing/editting the video and audio (most importantly the audio- especially as a musician, audio quality > video quality. Though video quality is important as well..), and finally, about a (5 hours each week) bit of the time promoting my content and answering questions, replying to comments/PM/business inquiries. Then any additional time left would be downtime for me, otherwise used for preparing for collabs or additional work if needed.
If i make a living in youtube as a musician i will upload videos once a week and at least 8 hours a day to practice my guitar, to work on my videos, to compose music etc..
Agreed. Indeed, and we musicians need to stay in technical shape to sound good :)

Oh should I not eat at all then?

Well YOU aren't really doing that much while stuff is being converted... :D On film post-production jobs with a tight schedule importing/exporting are like the only times you get sleep for a bit. Multitasking is the key and there is always room to improve ones time management. Just don't have to overdo it and work 4 days straight with a total of 4 hours of sleep like we had to do in film school once...

I would probably do what funforlouis does and make a vlog every day as well as one rant a week! This is my main aim with youtube! Mainly wanna travel and earn money through youtube to travel with!!!!!!!!

Besides just letting your channel grow, what would you do if given full time? How would you divide your time (40 hours per week, 8 per day).. What would you do to MAKE SURE you made enough money to keep you going.

For me I would make one video a day, because it normally takes me a week..

How about you?

For those of us with full time jobs already while running a YouTube channel or two, 8 hours a day probably seems a little light. I think I would be looking at 60-80 hours a week worth of work, trying very hard to get a video out each week for my personal channel, and would still be getting out one a day on the channel I run with my friend. My vids at the moment take about 60-80 hours but hopefully by that time I will have gotten much faster with my work flow.

Other then that it would give me more time to experiment with all the ideas that I never have time for, which would probably be the coolest part.

Back