So you want to do a competition or giveaway?

Thanks. this post really helped me now I know all the rules for a givaway and I can safely host a giveaway video!

I was thinking of doing some type of contest but not actually having the contest be on YouTube, just using YouTube as an advertisement that the contest exists, but then directing them to an external website (an affiliated blog) for the actual contest. As long as you don't embed the YouTube video on the external site to "run" the contest, you're not violating the rules.

I've seen tons of commercials for contests held off-site, they aren't YouTube contests per se, just an ad for a contest being held elsewhere. This is as legal as McDonald's having a commercial for their annual Monopoly contest.

Not to be too technical, but a contest does differ in a giveaway.

Contests are based on a skill. (The business definition). Thus something like an answer the questions to win or submit a video.

Giveaways are more like sweepstakes, where it is based on chance. I think that's why many YouTubers are still running giveaways today and NOT contests.

And here I was think g abut bribing viewers with a $$200 soccer ball lol

How do people upload their videos on your channel anyway?

Thanks for the info. Still a bit confused on giveaways.
1. Can I give something away to a random (publicly seen) subscriber if I hit a goal? example, I will give away item X when I reach 100 subscribers? 1,000 views on this video?

I see lots of members deciding to celebrate subscriber or view milestones by hosting a competition or giveaway on their channel. YouTube has some strict rules surrounding giveaways, and not adhering to those rules can result in your channel being deleted, or in some cases you can even be fined.

YIKES! I had no idea! Thank you so much for sharing this. It was very informative and possibly saved me from getting in trouble! :x

I posted my "official rules" directly in the description of the video announcing the contest. Does anyone know if that is that acceptable (instead of posting a link to the official rules)?

I didn't even know youtube had rules for giveaways! Great share and thanks for the heads up! I was just about to start one haha

Back