So what is and isn't allowed?

Talooka

Weirdo With a Beardo
I was hoping I wouldn't have to post a new thread, but after looking through some I can't find any about a specific problem, so I'm just wondering what IS and ISN'T allowed?

Copyright Infringement (to my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong) is claiming something that isn't yours as your own property OR displaying content that isn't yours in a video and not giving credit to the owner(s) of that content.

But this obviously doesn't go for EVERYTHING, otherwise we'd be stuck making our own clothes for our very first videos, or just having to list all the people involved with the making of my clothing.

So here's the sitch.
I was unable to monetize a video (Me And Lando Bored On A Friday Afternoon AGAIN) and I assumed it was because of the copyrighted pictures at the end that linked to other videos, so in fear of getting a strike on my account I didn't submit my video to go under review. My LATEST video (So Today's The End Of The World) Had an edited (by me) picture that included the Far Cry 3 logo in it during the outro that linked to another video, and STILL it was unable to be monetized.

SO. What's going on?!

As far as I'm aware, pictures usually don't cause issues but I'm not entirely sure. AdSense is really unreliable.

Cloths can't be copyrighted, it may be trademark infringement or brand if their logo, brand or trademark is damaged.

Copyright defined by YouTube:

Copyright is a form of protection provided for original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, graphic and audiovisual creations. "Copyright" literally means the right to copy, but has come to mean that body of exclusive rights granted by law to copyright owners for protection of their work.
Copyright protection means that a copyright owner can control certain uses of their work. Most importantly, this protection gives the copyright owner the right to control the copying, adaptation and transmission of the content. Uploading and sharing content via the Internet implicates many of a copyright owner's exclusive rights. The exclusive nature of copyright means that only the owner can decide who engages in these activities with respect to their content.
There are limitations to copyright. It does not generally protect ideas or facts. In addition, there are some uses of copyright-protected materials that are authorised by law. This means, for example, that the copyright owner's permission is not required to use their work in a video. The precise nature of these exceptions to copyright protection depends on the national copyright law that applies. In the US, the most important exception is fair use. In the UK, there are fair-dealing exceptions for particular uses such as criticism and review or reporting the news. In Brazil, the exceptions are itemised and specific and include quotes with attribution or short excerpts for personal use.

Fair use defined:

Fair use is a copyright principle based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. For example, if you wish to criticize a novelist, you should have the freedom to quote a portion of the novelist’s work without asking permission. Absent this freedom, copyright owners could stifle any negative comments about their work.
Unfortunately, if the copyright owner disagrees with your fair use interpretation, the dispute may have to be resolved by a lawsuit or arbitration. If it’s not a fair use, then you are infringing upon the rights of the copyright owner and may be liable for damages.
The only guidance for fair use is provided by a set of factors outlined in copyright law. These factors are weighed in each case to determine whether a use qualifies as a fair use. For example, one important factor is whether your use will deprive the copyright owner of income. Unfortunately, weighing the fair use factors is often quite subjective. For this reason, the fair use road map can be tricky to navigate.

Pictures are copyrighted as well

Both your videos should have been monetized.. why they didnt.. who knows.. both has a snippet of music, which im sure is not copyrighted.. but music always causes an issue..
To be honest.. as long as you use adsense.. they will do crazy ish and they dont explain anything.. thats the only reason i became a partner with a network.. i was making big money with adsense.. but i was always having issues with them over little stuff.. like folks flagging videos just to be butt holes..

Okay, thanks guys, my brain hurts a little right now, but I think I kinda understand it now. ( :help: )
both has a snippet of music, which im sure is not copyrighted.. but music always causes an issue..
The only music I used was me beatboxing, and I'm pretty sure I didn't flag my own video...I think

Okay, thanks guys, my brain hurts a little right now, but I think I kinda understand it now. :)help:)

The only music I used was me beatboxing, and I'm pretty sure I didn't flag my own video...I think
its not the flags.. its the automated system.. if they even think you might have a copyrighted song.. they will just pass you over.. trust me.. its a pain and not worth it to try to prove you have the copyrights.. have you copyrighted your beat box..lol...

The automated monetization approval/denial system is SUPER random. As in not 'picky' but literally random.

I have upload 4 videos at the same time, similar lengths, same content, no music, similar commentary (all recorded same method), same editing, same graphics, all the same game (all of my content is from one game) and have one instant-approve and the others not instant. Later one was approved and two denied.It is lame. I have noticed I tend to get "your video was denied monetization" notices around 2-5 am eastern. Not sure what is up with that.

I've had this issue recently. Here is what I did. I deleted the video after Youtube could not determine that I own the rights to a video featuring ME. Then I uploaded the video again without any description and tags. Then Youtube accepted it and monetized it. Try doing that and tell me what happens.

I've had this issue recently. Here is what I did. I deleted the video after Youtube could not determine that I own the rights to a video featuring ME. Then I uploaded the video again without any description and tags. Then Youtube accepted it and monetized it. Try doing that and tell me what happens.
Yeah but then you lose the views using that technique :unsure:

The automated monetization approval/denial system is SUPER random. As in not 'picky' but literally random...I have noticed I tend to get "your video was denied monetization" notices around 2-5 am eastern. Not sure what is up with that.

Are you uploading the videos around the same time? I'm thinking maybe if I upload them at a different time the notice won't appear...I'll have to test it out :confused:

Back