So Long Gamer YouTubers

ahhh ok! thanks for clearing that up. My heart sank a little when I read this post because my channel includes some pokemon content. I don't upload any video game footage or cutscenes, everything is handmade but since the characters belong to Nintendo/Gamefreak I was worried I was going to get slapped with content ID/copyright strike.
If you got a strike for that, I would just give up YouTube myself haha.

It's free advertisement. Nowadays I won't even buy a game unless I see some gameplay on it.

It does not mater if it is free advertisement. You don't own the rights to the content. I don't blame them for taking actions against Gamers. They are protecting their copyrights to prevent anything bad to happen.

it was gonna happen sooner or later, gamers were literally stealing income away from companies XD,
No. They're not stealing income away from game distributors. People don't watch Let's Plays instead of buying games themselves and gaming companies aren't in the business of making YouTube videos to monetize on. They are not losing income and it is free advertisement...

BUT:
YouTube gamers are making a profit on the back of the gaming companies. Without the games their videos wouldn't exist, so there should be compensation. You gotta pay for your raw materials. Marketing-wise they've made the mistake of letting gamers do for too long. Taking everyone's video down or taking all their earnings away would mean a major backlash. The smart thing would have been to act earlier and to say "Yo, YouTube, these guys are making money with our stuff, just give us half their profits and we're all cool." (In hindsight it's always easy to say what should have been done...) Now even that would be hard to do without causing a shitstorm.

it was gonna happen sooner or later, gamers were literally stealing income away from companies XD, Nintendo decided to just take your monetization which is the smartest decision, they pimping them![DOUBLEPOST=1386658548,1386658481][/DOUBLEPOST]
if your selling a shirt and i came into your home took the shirt and went around the city wearing it without telling you, thats still free advertisement right?

Rofl it is NOTHING like that. It's more like, you are selling a shirt, I buy a shirt, and then wear it to my job.

Companies pay millions upon millions of dollars to advertise their games, through commercials, ads, etc.

Gameplay videos are the 100% free advertising for their game. Millions upon millions of gamers watch videos on a game, and then go out and buy the game.

No. They're not stealing income away from game distributors. People don't watch Let's Plays instead of buying games themselves and gaming companies aren't in the business of making YouTube videos to monetize on. They are not losing income and it is free advertisement...

BUT:
YouTube gamers are making a profit on the back of the gaming companies. Without the games their videos wouldn't exist, so there should be compensation. You gotta pay for your raw materials. Marketing-wise they've made the mistake of letting gamers do for too long. Taking everyone's video down or taking all their earnings away would mean a major backlash. The smart thing would have been to act earlier and to say "Yo, YouTube, these guys are making money with our stuff, just give us half their profits and we're all cool." (In hindsight it's always easy to say what should have been done...) Now even that would be hard to do without causing a shitstorm.
same can be said for using videos with artists music in the back, free advertisement right? not losing income? theft and breach of copyrights.

so if somebody just bought one of my songs and decided to use it in a video without me knowing, I am not allowed to claim the revenue??? its the same deal, just most people don't see it because it has something to do with them.

A song is completely different from a video game. You get the full experience by listening to the song. You do not get the full experience, not even close, by watching a gameplay video lmao.

Rofl it is NOTHING like that. It's more like, you are selling a shirt, I buy a shirt, and then wear it to my job.

Companies pay millions upon millions of dollars to advertise their games, through commercials, ads, etc.

Gameplay videos are the 100% free advertising for their game. Millions upon millions of gamers watch videos on a game, and then go out and buy the game.
correction, if i bought the shirt then wore it to my job, i did not gain anything but the shirt, gamers are monetizing, meaning not only did i bring the shirt to my job, i told others how to make the shirt or i sold them the shirt, something of that value.

correction, if i bought the shirt then wore it to my job, i did not gain anything but the shirt, gamers are monetizing, meaning not only did i bring the shirt to my job, i told others how to make the shirt or i sold them the shirt, something of that value.

You are not telling others how to make the shirt, or selling the shirt. You are not delivering anyone the game itself, or telling them how to make it. You are giving them a preview of what the game has to offer, and giving them incentive to go out and buy it.

At the end of the day, you cannot deny that millions of people, aren't going out and buying games, after they have watched some videos about them on youtube, making them interested in actually owning the game themselves, so they can play it, and get to experience it. I guarantee you Pewdiepie alone has doubled the sales of some of the small games he plays.

This is what I'm trying to say haha[DOUBLEPOST=1386661938,1386661918][/DOUBLEPOST]
You are not telling others how to make the shirt, or selling the shirt. You are not delivering anyone the game itself, or telling them how to make it. You are giving them a preview of what the game has to offer, and giving them incentive to go out and buy it.
EXACTLY!!

same can be said for using videos with artists music in the back, free advertisement right? not losing income? theft and breach of copyrights.
Yes, same can be said for background music which is why musicians have to be compensated for that. If I use music in a film of mine I have to ask for permission and pay for it. The musician isn't losing income, no one is going to watch my movie instead of buying his song, but I profit form his music in some way, shape or form so he deserves something for that. Not 100% of everything (like Nintendo is doing) but definitely more than 0%. (And now re-read my original post, if I say people should pay gaming companies for using their work, how is that theft?)

Back