Small and big Youtuber's don't play by the same rules.

Actually 10.000 still means ten thousand it's just the European way of writing it. Curiously they also use the colon (,) for a decimal place so you gotta watch out for that
I live in Europe and . Is a decimal place which in fact makes it 10, and no us Europeans don't use , instead of decimal points

Really offtopic but (,) is a comma whether you are in EU or US. Unless you speak arabic, then it's turned upside down if I'm not mistaken.

These threads are getting really obnoxious. But I suppose scapegoating corporate interests and large channels is better than investing time in your own content. *shrugs*

What?!? 10,500 is EXACTLY the same as 10500! People just use it to make it neater

Insanely off-topic again so I'm gonna stop posting about deicmals after this :)

In EU the comma is used as a decimal sign and everything on the right side is considered something below 1.

However. When I studied in the US we used a dot (.) as a decimal sign and commas were only used when something is below a thousand e.g 10.500,36

I know a lot of people say that newer and smaller Youtuber's aren't treated differently than bigger Youtuber's, however as someone who has been both a big and small Youtuber I can safely tell you that theres is a huge number of differences in the way Youtube treats you.

Let's start with basic treatment, as in just replying to your messages.

Both networks and Youtube speak kindly and reply fast when they're messaged by people who have 10.000+ subscribers, however if you're a small baller you either won't get a reply or you will be turned down.

Youtube also values your opinion higher if you're a larger channel, when they asked if One Channel should be a thing 82% voted no, and 15% voted don't care, that leaves 3% for yes. However the bigger Youtuber's rallied around it and now we all have to use this.

Also the more subscribers/views/audience retention/view-to-sub ratio you have, the more Youtube will feature your videos all over the place. I mean it's understandable, seeing as bigger channels are more likely to keep on Youtubing.

But here is my main issue: Copyrights.

As a small channel, even if you're with a network, if you upload something copyrighted you will most likely recieve a copyright strike (which is fair since you broke the rules) However the bigger your channel gets, the biger your leash gets. I tried uploading one of my videos on a secondary channel (before I uploaded it on my main channel) and it got a copyright strike and got taken down. I then uploaded it to my channel, and even went through the Youtube ownership recognition form thingy, and they told me that this was "Redeemable as ownership, since I only used the non-licensed music for creative purposes" and a lot of other legal words I didn't understand.

My point is they didn't care that I used copyrighted content, as long as it wasn't enough for the actual company to look at it and file a complaint. And even if they did Youtube would warn me first, allowing me to take down the video.

Even though I love having this option, it's completely unfair to smaller Youtuber's. That's like restricting their capabilitys as video makers untill they make it big.
You're right about everything you said. YouTube is unfair and their monopole makes them think that they can do whatever they want. We should boycott YouTube by posting our opinions about this injustice on the pages of the top 100 most subscribed youtubers, like Anonymous did with the guvernment websites when they protested about ACTA, SOPA and PIPA... :joyful2:

In EU the comma is used as a decimal sign and everything on the right side is considered something below 1.

However. When I studied in the US we used a dot (.) as a decimal sign and commas were only used when something is below a thousand e.g 10.500,36
Will you stop saying in the EU, I live there i think I know and my older brother recently got a b in a level maths, and I just asked him and the comma does in no way mean a decimal point.

Where did this come from? Youtube never asked anyone about the implementation of onechannel. They developed it, did some test sessions and then unleashed the beta program to a select group. There was never any vote and there will never be any vote. All the larger channels that I know had zero input on the design and implementation. And yes, I was in the beta program.

Your estimate on what consists of a large channel is off by a lot more than you think. Youtube didn't care about us when we had 10k subs. Or 20k or 30k. I doubt if they care about us now that we have 100k. During the last local meetup, they claimed we didn't sign up and tried to kick us out even though we had the confirmation email from them complete with the time and directions on how to get there.

As for your copyright experiment, how is it unfair that small channels have to follow the rules? The same rules apply to larger channels-the reason why your video wasn't taken down (you were notified that someone can claim it) is because you're large enough for someone to make a reasonable profit if they choose to monetize your video. If they choose to issue you a strike, they can do so with no notice at all and you won't have grounds for an appeal.

They asked everyone to answer a little feedback thingy on Google forums, I got a mail about it. I also mailed Youtube asking about the results of the survey, since I couldn't believe that a majority voted One Channel, and (after long amounts of waiting) their support email finally came back to me.

And as for my copyright thing, it might be because they didn't genuinely take a look at it with the small channel, however they assesed that my videos weren't breaking the rules enough to be taken down (yet they got taken down on a small account)

Back