Partnership Networks Over-Recruiting?

Slyth66

Liking YTtalk
Is it just me, or does it seem like the various Networks are recruiting thousands of thousands of people for no good reason (other than to make money off of them)? I mean, in the beginning they were great, and the benefits of signing with them meant they would promote your channel and help build your audience. But there's no way they can do that for everyone they sign, so basically you are giving them a chunk of your revenue only to get the banner/thumbnails/etc.

Sorry for the rant, just curious what thoughts you guys had about them? I'm not dissing anyone signed with a network, just the networks themselves.

The support was a big draw for me. For example, I had trouble monetizing 4 of my videos, and got no response from the YouTube team for a long time. However, after joining with my network, I got a response within a few days and I think the issue is being tackled.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the various Networks are recruiting thousands of thousands of people for no good reason (other than to make money off of them)? I mean, in the beginning they were great, and the benefits of signing with them meant they would promote your channel and help build your audience. But there's no way they can do that for everyone they sign, so basically you are giving them a chunk of your revenue only to get the banner/thumbnails/etc.

Sorry for the rant, just curious what thoughts you guys had about them? I'm not dissing anyone signed with a network, just the networks themselves.
But the thing is that networks pays you rates per thousand views, and you can earn a lot more money off of your videos through a network than you would from adsense.

Yep alot of people with almost no views/subs are getting partner for no reason.
Network are just giving away partnerships to earn money themself. I only joined a network, because othwise I couldn't monetize games.

Yep lets take RPM for instance, basically the point of the RPM Network is to have loads of small channel and take more money off them than they should . RPM are hiring like 60 channels a day :O

Plus off topic but alot of network these days have the cheek to take more than a 80/20 NET split which is unfair on the content creator...

Also off topic but theres like 50+ networks goign around with less than 50 partners....

Really BBTV has to cop on a bit and stop partnering small networks most of which are being disgarded by their owners

Yep alot of people with almost no views/subs are getting partner for no reason.
Network are just giving away partnerships to earn money themself. I only joined a network, because othwise I couldn't monetize games.

The gaming thing is understandable, as I see the only other reason for someone to join a network.

Networks seem to be signing nearly everyone now in an attempt to boost their Comscores so they appear more attractive to advertisers. Unless you're a huge channel that pulls in 3-5 million views per month or more, the promotion/audience building that they offer you is usually next to nothing. Promotion is something that shouldn't be advertised because it's misleading to smaller channels. I've only been on these forums for about a month, but it seems like most people here are in a huge rush to get partnered with a network. I don't really see the appeal for a smaller channel other than the banner and thumbnails ( you can get thumbnails if you partner with youtube directly) unless you do lip syncs or gaming that can't be monetized without help. Our channel stayed out on our own for 2.5 years before we approached a network to inquire about partnership. It wasn't something we had to do and we were very patient about it-it took nearly 6 weeks to negotiate a contract that was acceptable for both sides and I had no issues walking away without signing if the contract wasn't right.

In the aftermath of the RWJ feud with Maker Studios, Big Frame had a nice blog post that you should read about how networks should be run: http://bigfra.me/a-challenge-to-youtube-multi-channel-networks/

Networks seem to be signing nearly everyone now in an attempt to boost their Comscores so they appear more attractive to advertisers. Unless you're a huge channel that pulls in 3-5 million views per month or more, the promotion/audience building that they offer you is usually next to nothing. Promotion is something that shouldn't be advertised because it's misleading to smaller channels. I've only been on these forums for about a month, but it seems like most people here are in a huge rush to get partnered with a network. I don't really see the appeal for a smaller channel other than the banner and thumbnails (which you can get if you partner with youtube directly) unless you do lip syncs or gaming that can't be monetized without help. Our channel stayed out on our own for 2.5 years before we approached a network to inquire about partnership. It wasn't something we had to do and we were very patient about it-it took nearly 6 weeks to negotiate a contract that was acceptable for both sides and I had no issues walking away without signing if the contract wasn't right.

In the aftermath of the RWJ feud with Maker Studios, Big Frame had a nice blog post that you should read about how networks should be run: http://bigfra.me/a-challenge-to-youtube-multi-channel-networks/
Definitely an interesting read. And I agree with everything you're saying. I tried negotiating with two networks but neither of us came to an agreement that suited both of our needs, and one had a 5 year contract! No way am I committing that much of my life to something.

Networks seem to be signing nearly everyone now in an attempt to boost their Comscores so they appear more attractive to advertisers. Unless you're a huge channel that pulls in 3-5 million views per month or more, the promotion/audience building that they offer you is usually next to nothing. Promotion is something that shouldn't be advertised because it's misleading to smaller channels. I've only been on these forums for about a month, but it seems like most people here are in a huge rush to get partnered with a network. I don't really see the appeal for a smaller channel other than the banner and thumbnails (which you can get if you partner with youtube directly) unless you do lip syncs or gaming that can't be monetized without help. Our channel stayed out on our own for 2.5 years before we approached a network to inquire about partnership. It wasn't something we had to do and we were very patient about it-it took nearly 6 weeks to negotiate a contract that was acceptable for both sides and I had no issues walking away without signing if the contract wasn't right.

Actually I completely disagree with your first statement I know that here at vultra we offer alot of features(not just basic branding) to all partners, all huge partners get is increases support(multiple support staff on skype).

And thing You DO NOT get a banner with the standard youtube partnership :p

Back