Never sign the first contract someone sends you!

MegaBoringGuy

Biggest Painted On Muscles You've Ever Seen, Baby
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I will definitely follow this in March 2014 when my contract is up. I am quite unhappy with it.

Skapo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Definitely some sage advice sir! When we were approached by machinima shortly after we hit 10k subscribers, they gave us an ok offer with a baseline CPM and some decent benefits. We took that offer as a baseline and went to Revision 3 (before they were bought by Discovery), and ended up getting the same CPM guarantee, but with a $5000 signing bonus, access to a sales/media team, and the promise of premium integrated sponsors. We asked Machinima if they could one up that and the kindly declined. So Rev3 it was!

That said, you have to know the value of your channel to best negotiate. Dont assume too much or too little about how much you are actually worth. Patience in these cases is most certainly valuable.

MegaBoringGuy

Biggest Painted On Muscles You've Ever Seen, Baby
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Definitely some sage advice sir! When we were approached by machinima shortly after we hit 10k subscribers, they gave us an ok offer with a baseline CPM and some decent benefits. We took that offer as a baseline and went to Revision 3 (before they were bought by Discovery), and ended up getting the same CPM guarantee, but with a $5000 signing bonus, access to a sales/media team, and the promise of premium integrated sponsors. We asked Machinima if they could one up that and the kindly declined. So Rev3 it was!

That said, you have to know the value of your channel to best negotiate. Dont assume too much or too little about how much you are actually worth. Patience in these cases is most certainly valuable.
What kind of CPM were you promised?

Skapo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cant talk a whole lote more in detail about that really, but id be glad to make recommendations on what a certain channel is likely worth based on the sort content that they produce.[DOUBLEPOST=1377358135,1377357683][/DOUBLEPOST]What I can also say is that those numbers get larger and larger the bigger your show. Uptil like 75k subs, generally assume that most channels can snag a $2.5 CPM without too much problem. Certain kinds of product related shows (tech review etc) can snag higher (up to $3-4) depending on the show and negotiation. It all depends how easy the network thinks it will be to sell premium ads and prerolls on a channel like yours.

scifiriot

I have a laser, pew pew
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Jim Louderback is a class act. Super smart and definitely knows how to make money.

Brickpro

GFX artist, Tech Reviewer, VFX!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Designer, Other
Totally true, I probably shouldn't have done this... XD, at least I have a good relation with the owner, he is going to pay me for doing some staff work.

LemonLorraine

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
Cant talk a whole lote more in detail about that really, but id be glad to make recommendations on what a certain channel is likely worth based on the sort content that they produce.[DOUBLEPOST=1377358135,1377357683][/DOUBLEPOST]What I can also say is that those numbers get larger and larger the bigger your show. Uptil like 75k subs, generally assume that most channels can snag a $2.5 CPM without too much problem. Certain kinds of product related shows (tech review etc) can snag higher (up to $3-4) depending on the show and negotiation. It all depends how easy the network thinks it will be to sell premium ads and prerolls on a channel like yours.
Great story! Seems like you've grown a lot with Rev3!!