My channel turned into a monster

Ultimatley, I think you should mix it up. Drone videos and vlogs. I think you should be able to make things that you want especially since you were originally that.

Depends what is your main point running your channel. If you need to earn some money, then do more those vids that gets popular on your channel, if money is not the case - then keep creating vids you like.

But in anyway if you want a popularity, then its good to post some vids that gives your channel a promo by getting viral. See for some more time where it gets and you may figure out the clearer direction for your channel after few more months when you see whats happening with your old and new vids on tube, and subscribers growth too.

Regarding turds commenting sh*t under your vids - as you get popupar on tube, there will always be losers trying to hurt and post nasty stuff with hope to hurt you for no real reason, you should not pay attention to it. Better pay attention to video views stats (views - that makes your channel popular, not likes or dislikes). If you get nasty comments and dislikes, but your video views amount going up nicely, then who cares of those commenters, just delete them if you think its not nice to keep those comments publicly visible under videos. Thats what i would personally do - nasty comments does not deserve to stay public.

Last edited:
Should I just acknowledge that my channel is now a drone channel and create another channel for my more creative/off-topic videos
That's exactly what you should do. Change your channel name to Ed Ricker Drone Talk (or something like that) and remove the older videos. This is what the people want. This is how your channel will continue to grow. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi all,
I run a YouTube channel called Ed Ricker Vlogs. As you can tell by the title, it was originally a vlog-based channel about my life as a videographer, musician, actor, etc. Daily/weekly stuff for fun. I didn't get many views/subs though, and between February and November of 2016 I only reached about 270 subs.
At the end of December, I bought the new DJI Mavic Pro and did an unboxing/first flight with the drone. I instantly got a lot of hits and subs because of the drone's popularity. I rode the wave by creating a Mavic Pro review, some tutorials, a few demos, and now I just recently reached 3000 subs (over 6000% subscriber growth rate in the last 30 days).

My issue is...95% of those people who subbed recently are because of my drone videos...not because of my vlogs or my other creative videos. I feel stuck because if I create content like my old stuff, I'm worried that people are going to say, "I didn't sign up for this" and unsub. I just posted a funny stupid video yesterday that I really thought was good, and I've gotten a ton of dislikes and some comments saying "Stick with the drone videos" and "this is garbage, unsubbed".

Should I just acknowledge that my channel is now a drone channel and create another channel for my more creative/off-topic videos, or should I keep the one channel and just realize I'm going to lose/disappoint a chunk of my new subscribers who don't know I produce more than just drone content? I can't ignore the fact that I've had channel growth via drones, but I don't really want to make any more drone videos for a while.

Thanks for your help and insight into my issue!
NA dude screw that nonsense. Do what you enjoy.. think about it for a second. If you really dont enjoy drones ( idk you might enjoy them) and your heart is with vlogs. You will feel forced to make content you dont enjoy. You need to make content you actually enjoy then it will show. You will be miserable making videos you dont like

After 2 years of my channel I had around 2000 subs. I was uploading content I wanted to upload. Then I read somewhere about uploading what your subs want to see.
I checked out my most popular vdeos and created more of the same/similar. 8 months later and I have 54'000 subs.
I still upload other stuff in between to stick to my upload schedule but its only that 1 topic that sees the views hit big.
Perhaps upload a weekend vlog along with 3/4 drone videos.

Maybe record your vlogs with the drone. "How to Vlog with a Drone" Maybe that will make the transition easier for the drone nuts.

Thanks everyone! The last couple days I've embraced it all a bit more. I've put out two videos recently that were very creative and only partially drone related, and the feedback as been great for the most part. I think I'm going to continue on making content I want to make, but be sure to appease the drone subs frequently.
I appreciate everyone's input...it's really helped a lot!

Think about combining the 2 mediums. A kind of drone vlog maybe. I don't see why you should change what you enjoy doing because in the end, you might possibly get fed up later on.

In my opinion it depends on why you're making videos. If it is to create content about things that you enjoy..then no..don't change it. Changing it will make it feel like a job instead of fun. However if your in it for money or popularity..then yeah change it. It is worth mentioning that one of the most popular vloggers incorporates a lot of drone stuff in his videos..some guy named Casey Niestat ;) Good luck to you

Back