My advice with standing out on YouTube

Zach Werre

I was seeing threads about "making it" on YouTube and I just wanted to share my advice.

One of the things I think helps you gain an audience on YouTube is figuring out what you can do that is different. Look at the other channels in your genre and find out what they are doing and try to figure out what you can do differently. I feel like this is one of the big hurdles with Let's Play channels. There are so many of them that you have to figure out what really makes yours different than everyone else's.

Last edited:
Yes, this is called 'finding your niche' ;) A niche means determining how and why you make your content and who you are making it for. There are tutorials for this in the tutorials board.

Awesome post and I totally agree:):up2:
I run a channel with animated videos with, should we call it "motivation videos" and in the beginning I was just pretty much like the other channels out there.. No I´m trying a bit different approach and it works really well:up2: Now I do it a bit different than the other channels in my nice and I´m starting to gain a lot of subs:)

Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Good advice, and often overlooked. Sometimes even doing small things that other channels aren't doing can make all the difference.

Yes, this is called 'finding your niche' ;) A niche means determining how and why you make your content and who you are making it for. There are tutorials for this in the tutorials board.

You're spot on! I'm learning all about this in my marketing class, segmenting the market, different orientations, etc. My apologies for making this thread, I was unaware there were already ones available.

You're spot on! I'm learning all about this in my marketing class, segmenting the market, different orientations, etc. My apologies for making this thread, I was unaware there were already ones available.
I've had marketing classes as well, so I'm quite familiar with target groups etc :p And no problem! I'd advise you to either look around the forums a bit or using the search bar if you'd like to discuss a certain topic. A lot has already been said on this forum :)

I was seeing threads about "making it" on YouTube and I just wanted to share my advice.

One of the things I think helps you gain an audience on YouTube is figuring out what you can do that is different. Look at the other channels in your genre and find out what they are doing and try to figure out what you can do differently. I feel like this is one of the big hurdles with Let's Play channels. There are so many of them that you have to figure out what really makes yours different than everyone else's.

That's actually a pretty good idea! Thanks for sharing!

I usually check my competitors tags for their channel and I use them as well for my videos. It has been useful Seo wise.:)

Sorry if this is an ignorant question... but how can I check competitors tags? Are you referring to general tags mostly for videos in a category or is it also possible to see what tags a specific youtuber is using?

Back