My advice with standing out on YouTube

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I usually check my competitors tags for their channel and I use them as well for my videos. It has been useful Seo wise.:)
Ohhh this is a useful bit of advice! Thanks! (I think I'll start doing this too :D)

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'd say the secret is to be original enough without being purposfully ostracising yet generic enough to pull in casuals. those floating viewers can and mostly do make the difference between a success and a flop :) so find a niche field, be yourself but on a really good day and cross everything you've got xD

shahinmp

Reaction score
Sorry if this is an ignorant question... but how can I check competitors tags? Are you referring to general tags mostly for videos in a category or is it also possible to see what tags a specific youtuber is using?
Here is what you should do>

Lets say you watched the following video on YouTube and now you want to see the tags used in this video. If you are using Chrome browser, just do mouse right click and go to view source option (view page source). Then on view source page, press Ctrl+F button and search 'Keywords'. You will see the lists of meta tags used on this video.[DOUBLEPOST=1508276766,1508276404][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ohhh this is a useful bit of advice! Thanks! (I think I'll start doing this too :D)
You are welcome...

Reactions: veronica33067

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry if this is an ignorant question... but how can I check competitors tags? Are you referring to general tags mostly for videos in a category or is it also possible to see what tags a specific youtuber is using?
Good question because I went searching and didn't see much. I'm lost. :unsure:

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good question because I went searching and didn't see much. I'm lost. :unsure:
It’s much easier with the free TubeBuddy extension. Just install it and then visit a competitor’s video and in the right side you will see all the stats for that video as well as all the tags used and their rank.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd also add - make sure you respect your viewers and be genuine with them. Don't act like a celebrity. We are all just sharing videos we love.
There are small youtubers who I follow and enjoy their videos - but they don't bother replying to anyone.
I always feel compelled to go back to the ones that do. e.g. Adam Stern Freediver. That guy is super busy, but he will always try to reply and he creates a really friendly forum type culture in his comments sections of his video

Isthisawalrus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's pretty solid advice there. I've already determined that my niche is let's plays of 90s FPS games.

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I was seeing threads about "making it" on YouTube and I just wanted to share my advice.

One of the things I think helps you gain an audience on YouTube is figuring out what you can do that is different. Look at the other channels in your genre and find out what they are doing and try to figure out what you can do differently. I feel like this is one of the big hurdles with Let's Play channels. There are so many of them that you have to figure out what really makes yours different than everyone else's.
I have my own style and I get faster at editing. I used to have a crappy laptop that didn't let me do much with rendering etc, so I wasn't able to upload more frequently. Having a specific niche is great but it could get repetitive over time, so that's where you have to be careful at.