Preston Clarke

Liking YTtalk
Before we get to in depth i want to state OBVIOUSLY by no means am I a professional but I feel as though these are a few things that one MUST have in order to be successful not only on youtube but in life.

1. Work Ethic
2. Sacrifice
3. Dedication

Work Ethic -
Work ethic I would say is the most important of all. You need to upload consistently. Set aside time to make sure you can consistently put out QUALITY content. Set a schedule and stick to it. BUT. Just because you upload daily doesnt mean you will become youtube famous in a few moments. You need to put time into your videos. MAKE them entertaining. One thing i do is re watch them and if you get bored with your own video. Delete it. If you can enjoy your own content someone else can too! Make sure everything is about as perfect as it can be and on a consistent basis. If you upload QUALITY content on a set schedule there is no doubt you could become big.

Sacrifice -
In order to have a good work ethic you need to beable to sacrifice a few things. One of them being time. Any free time hop on the computer and make that video you were going to upload that much better. Sometimes you might have to sacrifice hanging out with peers or loved ones. If you are willing to set aside major distractions when needed you will produce amazing content and in return grow faster

Dedication -
Dedication kind of ties into both of the other qualities stated above. but theres one main thing i want to focus on in this category. JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT BECOME FAMOUS OVER NIGHT DOESNT MEAN YOU WONT BE SUCCESSFUL! So many people with SO much potential will give up within a year of what they are striving towards just becomes its not working out right away. Nothing ever comes without work. Even when you were givin things as a child.. YOUR PARENTS HAD TO WORK FOR THAT. Dont give up if you look at any big youtubers or business men ect. You will find it took years of being a nobody in order to get where they are. Dedication makes and breaks many careers. Are you cut out for being patient?

If you can stay true to your self. Be who you are on camera. And try to acquire those traits stated above I have no doubt in my mind you can be successful!

I think resilience is a big one too. For me in the last few weeks there have been some people who are just ignorant to what YouTube offers as an industry, or as a stepping stone to creating something off of the platform. It's important to brush off the negative criticisms that are made towards your ambitions while using the platform, and to just persevere.

I think resilience is a big one too. For me in the last few weeks there have been some people who are just ignorant to what YouTube offers as an industry, or as a stepping stone to creating something off of the platform. It's important to brush off the negative criticisms that are made towards your ambitions while using the platform, and to just persevere.
Exactly bro Couldnt have said it better myself

One more point I'd like to add,
Education
Not really school education per-say, but something that helps me out is learning everything I can about youtube, via other youtubers, bloggers, forums, documentaries, convention panels. Personally I just feel much more confident when I can explain to just about everyone some specific part of youtube or content creation. Of course along with this also learning new tips and tricks for editing, filming, writing, etc. Learning new software. Just learning in general.

I think the one thing that helps me the most is to realize that motivation doesn't matter, so long as you do the things you want to do. A good number of people wait for motivation to come along and carry them to the finish line, where putting one foot in front of the other, even if your brain is shouting, "I DON'T WANNA!" can get you where you want to be just as much as psyching yourself up.

I think the one thing that helps me the most is to realize that motivation doesn't matter, so long as you do the things you want to do. A good number of people wait for motivation to come along and carry them to the finish line, where putting one foot in front of the other, even if your brain is shouting, "I DON'T WANNA!" can get you where you want to be just as much as psyching yourself up.

To add to this, it's all about taking action. Have all the hopes, dreams, and motivation you want, but it means nothing if you don't take action.

It's easy to say, "have good work ethic, sacrifice, and dedication!" But how would you go about it?

It comes down to building habits. Bluntly, get the hell out of your comfort zone every single time until your comfort zone becomes larger. Then after, get the hell out of it again.

The best way is to set reminders, create a schedule in which you allocate time to do something specifically out of your comfort zone. Afraid of speaking in front of the camera? Set an alarm that in 30 minutes, you'll turn on your camera and do nothing but talk about random topics for five minutes. Watch it and find things you can improve on. Do this again the next day, and then the next... And then the next! And so on up until that fear is gone and it becomes a habit. After that, find another thing that makes you uncomfortable and do it.

Keep doing that and your growth opportunities will be limitless.

Very nice article.

Everyone has different attributes/ways to be successful on youtube. Depends on your channel. Like anything in life, strong work ethic, dedication, and the right amount of sacrifice can take you to your goals...

Question for everyone
One thing i do is re watch them and if you get bored with your own video. Delete it.

Do people on here find benefit in doing this? Unless something is appalling or offensive, I don't see the need for this. Not every video will be a hit. We all are our own worst critics

Building habits is a strong motivator. I like the idea of setting a deadline. It's like my online Spanish classes (I have a virtual tutor on skype). Some days I don't feel like doing it, but I signed up the night before so i'm going. Promote your video in advance, and know it has to be ready by a certain day.

I second everything you said, especially motivation. But the real thing is stop thinking and start acting: nothing will happen until you'll actually start what you want. I know a lot of people get burned out very soon because youtube can be a long journey (some can be more lucky than others) and it's easy to give up, I had some down moments too but I have a dream in mind so I'l keep doing this and balancing everything with my daily life!

Back