I'm actually doing everything with my phone lol
Taking the video, editing.
Second stage record a vocal with my phone (HuaweiueueiiwOO), clean compress etcetera with a free software.
Re-edit with the voiceover

I use a few mics depending on what I'm doing.

Rode NTG3 Shotgun mic for most videos and all short films

Movo vxr4000-pro Shotgun mic as my on camera backup

Audio Technica ATR2100 Dynamic mic for voice overs

2 Audio Technica Lav mics for weddings (If I end up needing them)

I have all these mics mostly to make sure that when I need something different for whatever reason I actually have one on hand and I don't have to worry about it.

I found a microphone at a junk sale... it was just the microphone and sending unit for a Radio Shack FM transmitter. The olde wireless lav mic's. I took it, cut the wire, googled a how to, then connected it to a TRRS connector (the ones used on more modern phones). Now I use a Galaxy S7 to make all my videos and a Galaxy S6 in my back pocket to record.

What is the best lavalier mic? I have a vlogging channel and sometimes the shotgun mic is a little intrusive looking when I am filming in places that don't like when I bring in a mic on top of my camera and make me take it off. So I am looking at getting(hopefully inexpensive) a lav mic for those situations or just do better audio in case my shotgun mic doesn't pic up everything well. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I have the rode lav, but I've gotten lazy and just use the shotguns. Now I have 2 Rode Video Micro (1 on Sony RX100 and 1 on GoPro) and a Rode Video Mic on a GH5. I actually think its better when I bring a camera with a mic on top.

I've recently bought the Neewer NW-800 and 48V Phantom power supply (Both needed) for £30.98 and it's great aside from the minor buzzing but I think that is due to my sound card so I will be getting an external one. Please note that the microphone doesn't work without a power supply (48V Phantom power supply recommended)

At the moment I'm using the built-in microphone of my Logitech Brio 4K webcam which is OK, but not ideal. I hope to be getting a proper microphone soon as I've sent some things off in the post for a voucher for CeX where I can then get a proper microphone from - once that's gone through I'll come back for some advice on the ones I can afford if that's OK? :)

Rode Video Micro
effective range?

I'm also looking for a half-decent but affordable lavalier mic.
I plan to do some outdoor filming not necessarily in close proximity to camera. eg camera will be captring a landscape and I might be sitting on a rock somewhere 10 or 20 metres away. (just a hypothetical example)

I heard somewhere that the Rode lav mics aren't the best in their price range.

Open to suggestions, please.

Back