Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Microphones

Discussion in 'Video Editing, Recording, Software & Hardware' started by RedFox, Jan 9, 2014.

1. unevenflaps
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $6
    Blue snowball or yeti are pretty decent in terms of having a mic that works. Only problem is that they tend to malfunction meaning that your computer forgets them and stops picking them up even though they work fine, currently rocking n audio technica at2035 which i love and captures a nice full sound.

2. freppy
    Cash:
    $17
    I'm using the Rode Videomic Go mounted to my camera - simple, no external power source needed, and decent quality. Get a 'DeadCat' to cover it for wind noise though!

3. ThePlebyPleb
    Cash:
    $2
    I made a video on this a couple days ago, I personally adore the AudioTechnica AT-2035 with the Behringer 204HD, giving the Mic some REAL power

4. SlugoGaming
    Cash:
    $14
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before given that there are 43 pages to this thread, but my friends and I having a gaming channel and we've been doing Let's Play style videos and recording chat audio via discord. I've been using a Blue Yeti mic, but the two other people I've been playing with have been using lower quality microphones (apple earpods). Does anyone know of any affordable headset microphones that they could plug into their cell phones via AUX and give them better quality audio? Thanks!

5. Cephus
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $121
    I've had the same question. I use a headset and mine is dying. I also have a Blue Yeti, but since I move around a lot while I'm recording, I want something where there's a consistent distance between my mouth and the mic. But when you look online for headsets, all anyone talks about is the sound quality to the headset, never about the quality of the microphone. And nobody can ever give any recommendations based on the quality of the microphone, they just give high end gaming headsets.

SlugoGaming likes this.
  6. HiEnergy
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $110
    My current voice recording setup is a cheap chinese SM57 knockoff into Behringer Euromix 2802 mixer into RME Hammerfall HDSP PCIe sound card.
    As you can hear in my narrated videos my voice sounds horrible on that microphone. Guess I'll switch over to a Rode NT1-A microphone at some point in the future. This one requires phantom power which my Behringer mixer fortunately can provide.
    For recording and editing the voiceovers (I confess I separate screencast creation and VO recording) I use Cockos Reaper 5.78.

7. MU.
    MU.
    Cash:
    $12
    Hey RedFox :)
    Excellent list, good microphones.. Cheers!
    I used Samson C01u in the past (still have it) and now I use the Shure SM7B
    Both microphones are great for voice recordings.

8. Looped Fruit
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $15
    For my in car videos I use a Rode Video Mic Pro, takes a 9V battery.

I Use to use a Rode video mic GO but I had problem with microphone hiss and how I fixed this was by getting the Rode video mic Pro, setting it to +20 db, having High pass filter off and lowering the cameras sound recording level!

9. HiEnergy
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $110
    I've finally ditched the cheapo mic and obtained a Rode NT1-A.
    For all those who are on the verge of getting one, I've done an unboxing video showing the unboxing, installation and a short recording session with that microphone (featuring the raw, unprocessed sound from 04'20 on). The video language is German, English translation is available in the subtitles.
    The mic unboxing video is my latest video in the "hardware" playlist.

10. OrbitGuy
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $43
    I'll add another mic to the list that I don't hear mentioned very often, I got this as an alternative to my blue yeti. It's the Audio-Technica 875R, which is like a mini shotgun mic. It's crazy light, and I put it on a cheap mic stand and just move it around easily wherever I need it. The mic itself is so light and small that you can fit it in your pocket and just carry it wherever if you wanted to. It's an XLR mic and the quality is very smooth sounding for the price, although you do obviously need to buy an audio interface if you don't have one.

I've used this mic most all of my videos for the past 6 months or so, and I think it's a lot smoother than the sound I got from the Yeti, however I'm not sure that my audience notices much. The main win for me was just that I need to move the mic around a lot so the weight and size difference was a huge deal for me.