freppy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm using the Rode Videomic Go mounted to my camera - simple, no external power source needed, and decent quality. Get a 'DeadCat' to cover it for wind noise though!

ThePlebyPleb

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I made a video on this a couple days ago, I personally adore the AudioTechnica AT-2035 with the Behringer 204HD, giving the Mic some REAL power

SlugoGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm not sure if this has been asked before given that there are 43 pages to this thread, but my friends and I having a gaming channel and we've been doing Let's Play style videos and recording chat audio via discord. I've been using a Blue Yeti mic, but the two other people I've been playing with have been using lower quality microphones (apple earpods). Does anyone know of any affordable headset microphones that they could plug into their cell phones via AUX and give them better quality audio? Thanks!

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've had the same question. I use a headset and mine is dying. I also have a Blue Yeti, but since I move around a lot while I'm recording, I want something where there's a consistent distance between my mouth and the mic. But when you look online for headsets, all anyone talks about is the sound quality to the headset, never about the quality of the microphone. And nobody can ever give any recommendations based on the quality of the microphone, they just give high end gaming headsets.

Reactions: SlugoGaming

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
My current voice recording setup is a cheap chinese SM57 knockoff into Behringer Euromix 2802 mixer into RME Hammerfall HDSP PCIe sound card.
As you can hear in my narrated videos my voice sounds horrible on that microphone. Guess I'll switch over to a Rode NT1-A microphone at some point in the future. This one requires phantom power which my Behringer mixer fortunately can provide.
For recording and editing the voiceovers (I confess I separate screencast creation and VO recording) I use Cockos Reaper 5.78.

MU.

Reaction score
An extensive list of microphones used by YouTubers.

If you're looking a microphone to purchase for your channel you've come to the right place, this list of microphones features an image of the respective microphone, a description in my own words of the microphone and a link to its main page and Amazon page.

This list is no particular order, XLR mics require interfaces, keep that in mind.

Blue Snowball
Blue Yeti
Audio-Technica AT-2020
Audio-Technica AT-2500
Shure SM7B
Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Mic
Audio-Technica ATR2100
Samson C01u
Shure SM48/58
MXL 550/551R
Samson Meteor Mic

Samson Go Mic
This thread will be updated with more mics soon. Thanks for reading and hope this helps you decide on which mic you should choose.[/SPOILER]
See ya later. :)
Hey RedFox :)
Excellent list, good microphones.. Cheers!
I used Samson C01u in the past (still have it) and now I use the Shure SM7B
Both microphones are great for voice recordings.

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
For my in car videos I use a Rode Video Mic Pro, takes a 9V battery.

I Use to use a Rode video mic GO but I had problem with microphone hiss and how I fixed this was by getting the Rode video mic Pro, setting it to +20 db, having High pass filter off and lowering the cameras sound recording level!

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
My current voice recording setup is a cheap chinese SM57 knockoff
I've finally ditched the cheapo mic and obtained a Rode NT1-A.
For all those who are on the verge of getting one, I've done an unboxing video showing the unboxing, installation and a short recording session with that microphone (featuring the raw, unprocessed sound from 04'20 on). The video language is German, English translation is available in the subtitles.
The mic unboxing video is my latest video in the "hardware" playlist.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'll add another mic to the list that I don't hear mentioned very often, I got this as an alternative to my blue yeti. It's the Audio-Technica 875R, which is like a mini shotgun mic. It's crazy light, and I put it on a cheap mic stand and just move it around easily wherever I need it. The mic itself is so light and small that you can fit it in your pocket and just carry it wherever if you wanted to. It's an XLR mic and the quality is very smooth sounding for the price, although you do obviously need to buy an audio interface if you don't have one.

I've used this mic most all of my videos for the past 6 months or so, and I think it's a lot smoother than the sound I got from the Yeti, however I'm not sure that my audience notices much. The main win for me was just that I need to move the mic around a lot so the weight and size difference was a huge deal for me.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I've got a Shure mic from my old music recording days. Bought one of these foam covers, 4 euros, just use a few basic plugins for EQ and compression, works just fine for me. You can always go for the mega quality mics and you'll be sure it'll capture your voice with more audio integrity and warmth, but I reckon a pretty ordinary mic does the trick.