Longest Render Time for a video?

There's something satisfying about giving a computer a massive task to perform, waiting for it, and finally seeing the result.
That's why I'm not too bothered when rendering or uploading takes too long. I should probably say "encoding" rather than "rendering", because that's what Premiere Pro calls it. Not sure what the difference is, really.

I've had uploads that take almost four hours (1080p 20 minute flv files) but that's probably because my brother's often using the internet at the same time.
My longest render time was only around 2 hours. 30 minutes for a 7 minute video is what I typically get.
On a related note, I once started several copy operations (of old source files I'd kept from previous videos) and one of them said "1 day remaining" - I was so impressed I took a screenshot! (It ended up taking only fifteeen minutes or so, because the others all fininshed quickly and it sped up.)

For a typical 20 min video it would probably take my system about 30-45 mins.
Thats for a full 1080p HD video.

I use a MacBook Pro with a 2.9GHz Dual Core i7 CPU and 16GB of RAM.

Upload time depends on the time of day - but I sometimes upload from work instead where I can upload a 2.5GB file in around 8 mins - would take hours at home!!
Hence I try to upload from work and mark the video as private, while then annotating, adding the title, description, and tags etc from home before making it public.

I'm thinking of producing my project on my MacBook, but then moving it to my MacMini Server to render and upload.
The server stays on 24/7 so I could leave it to render and upload overnight (I don't like leaving my laptop on overnight! lol).
The Mac Mini server has a 2.6GHz Quad Core i7 CPU, hence it may be faster - I just dont know whether Final Cut Pro would use all 4 cores efficiently, as if the software is designed to only use 2 cores, then moving it to the server to render would actually take longer then the Dual Core MacBook!

when I use Sony Vegas pro 12 my computer takes around 4 hours to render my black ops 2 videos and lags while i edit.. (I sat through around 5 of these renders) no I use Premiere pro its gone down to about 10 minutes for most of my videos :)

when I use Sony Vegas pro 12 my computer takes around 4 hours to render my black ops 2 videos and lags while i edit.. (I sat through around 5 of these renders) no I use Premiere pro its gone down to about 10 minutes for most of my videos :)

Your banner and background look incredible, nice and clear :)

My videos used to take about an hour-hour and a half to render, but I recently started using my graphics card to render as well as my cpu, and now the videos render in near real-time :)

My videos used to take about an hour-hour and a half to render, but I recently started using my graphics card to render as well as my cpu, and now the videos render in near real-time :)
thats the reason sony vegas took so long to render for me! it wouldn't let me use my graphics card and my cpu it would only let me use my cpu.. I swapped to premiere and it's beautiful :')

Back