Is it legal to make my video about another youtuber?

Purely Peña

I've Got It
i want to make a response rant video about a really big youtuber. I want to know if it's legal to talk about them, link their channel, and use their image in my thumbnail and video?

as far as i know you can make a video about them, but don't include a video clip and an image of them in your video without their permission. as far as i know i think it is allowed for you to put their image in the thumbnail

Im pretty sure you are allowed,and i have seen many videos from small youtubers talking about big youtubers, and they also have an image of them in their thumbnail. A video like this will prob get you loads of views btw

You're making commentary about something, that's perfectly legal :) Though don't be surprised if they try to take it down anyway since they may not like what you have to say (which they shouldn't be able to do, but may attempt anyway). As LyfeWithDragons stated, avoid slander as that does give them a reason to take it down.

Thank you so much for your help. I won't slander them, but will try to be fair and honest, although honest will put show them in a negative light. Lol, but no name calling or anything like that... Thank you all for your help.mmy plan is to put their image in my thumbnail, and in my video link their video I am responding to, but will not show their video because of copyright? I hope it will get me lots of views, that is kind of why I'm doing it. 50% because what they said bothered me so much I had to say something and 50% so I can hopefully get views. Lol

... but will not show their video because of copyright?

Legally, you could use snippets of their video if you are doing a critique. However, that makes it easy for them to file a copyright claim on your video through YouTube's Content ID system. You'd have to take them to court to argue 'fair use'.

It's just easier to not use the footage.

But then again, what are the odds that they would find out?

Thank you so much for your help. I won't slander them, but will try to be fair and honest, although honest will put show them in a negative light. Lol, but no name calling or anything like that... Thank you all for your help.mmy plan is to put their image in my thumbnail, and in my video link their video I am responding to, but will not show their video because of copyright? I hope it will get me lots of views, that is kind of why I'm doing it. 50% because what they said bothered me so much I had to say something and 50% so I can hopefully get views. Lol

It really should just be about 100% sharing your opinion on something, and being passionate about it. I'd suggest making the topic something that people can relate to. Like, if the person said/did a bad thing, how it affected you, and "why" it should affect others. That way your audience will have something to connect to, it'll make your video more shareable, and with that will come the views.

Of course its legal :) People may not like it so try to be careful but everyone has their own opinions :) There are plenty of videos out there of people ranting about other youtubers

Back