I busted one of the biggest myths of Youtube.

Ryan Ng

Hey guys. So we all heard the number one tip to becoming a "big" YouTuber is to be consistent. "post every week", "make a schedule", "if you don't stay consistent you are going to lose subscribers".
But I realized that this is not the case.
Instead, I really believe the case of "quality over quantity". For example, I started posting videos over the summer and over the span of then to now I've only posted about 8 videos. But I've been growing so much faster than a lot of other people. I feel like the reason for this is because it takes me almost a month to make one video. I try to perfect it as much as possible and I think that is the key to success on youtube. It so post quality content. I also feel that it's because I put a lot of passion into my work. And I found that to be a key.
So instead of trying to be as consistent as possible, you should let your creative minds flow and give yourself some time. If you can't think of anything don't post some bs stuff. Keep thinking and post at another time. Trust me it's gonna be a big help!

I think that's some sound advice. I do a bit of both, if you can believe it. I pump out a gaming video a day (largely because I'm backed up and just want them indexed now) and then I do a scripted thing every so often that's related to gaming, but is off the rails and not even remotely a gaming video. Problem is, they're two different kinds of content and the gaming is burying the scripted stuff. I'm tempted to start another channel to throw it on.

I really can relate dude and I feel the exact same way. BIG humbs up for this post:up2::)
I found out that if I had to do a new video let´s say every week my videos would NOT be the same quality so I had to come to terms with the fact that (for me anyways) good videos take time....
"quality over quantity" is the key for me now and it sometimes takes a month or more to make a really good video so I understand you 100%. Thanks again for this post and for keeping the spirit up for us who only upload once a month or so:)

I agree with you in your case. You make awesome hero content. Cinematic, great and interesting. For your niche, it's all about the quality and you've got that down.

In my niche I can only look so good as a talking head giving marketing advice with screenshots and screen recordings. The only way my channel can get better is by me becoming a better presenter and by covering more subjects. Both of which require huge quantities of executions.

For me right now, it's all about quantity to cover the many subjects around marketing and simply to get better at presenting.

Unless you're a huge youtuber already you have to put out videos consistently. I'm not saying you have to put out a new video every day, but at least one every week or every other week. I'm not sure you actually busted your theory unless you're talking about another channel you have. I see 6 videos uploaded in a course of 6 months on your channel with less than 400 subs. That's pretty good no doubt but when people talk about growing and getting subs they are normally talking about wanting to get 1,000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 subs. It'd be super hard to get in any of those ranges within a year doing one video every month or so. I'm not saying it's not doable, I'm saying the odds are against you.

These are really wise words! Agree with you and love your videos. Subscribed! Keep it up.

the more frequent uploads seems to help with exposure. but quality is what builds subscribers and repeat viewers. in my observation. as my quality has increased I find my views started coming in larger waves, seems to be more people who will watch one video and then watch other video's of mine. hoping I can continue to build on that trend.

I agree with what you are saying and I'm also trying to post frequently too. Recently, it seemed the best choice was to take time with the music stuff. My goal is posting a music video once a month. But I can do a video talking about something I like and a vlog once a week, because those videos don't take me as long and I still enjoy making them and it keeps content flowing on my channel. In the past I had tried to do a cover every week. But that made for lower quality, and some rushed music projects. Like a lot of things on youtube, it just takes tweaking things and trial and error to figure out what works for you. Different audiences crave different things as well. Glad you are finding success in the quality of your content. Your videos look great!

Back