How to Muffle certain sounds?

ThePluckyGamers

Hey guys, I figure this is the best place to ask.

We do a live gaming show; and when we play games like Smash Bros. our controllers can be a little loud in the audio.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to muffle it; either in the editing part or during the actual recording process?

It would greatly improve our quality if our viewers didn't have to hear the controllers.

So if anyone knows any quick fixes, let me know!

Thanks

Using a monodirectional mic would help - otherwise you could try messing around with EQ to decrease the volume of sounds at that particular frequency.

If I had to jerry-rig a quick solution, I would play with the controllers under a blanket or towel to muffle the sound physically. Unless you can position the mic to be directional only to your commentary, I think it would be pretty hard to remove loud clicks near your voice.

some microphones are pretty advanced and can focus in certain directions, for example, i have a microphone that i can focus up to 90 degree in any direction, if you then just place it a bit high and close to where your voice is comming from the clickedy clack of the controllers should be minimalized. :)

Yeah I have a pretty nice microphone that does that. So I might try that.

We also thought of the towel idea rofl. But that might be a little awkward to play with.

What exactly is EQ?

Ahh interesting, I might look into that as an alternative if moving the microphone at a different angle doesn't work. Thanks!

You can also use a free sound editor to do this.

Audacity has the ability to have you show it what noise is (1 sec selected of your clicking controller), and remove it.

I believe it's called Noise Removal in the plugins.

You can also use a free sound editor to do this.

Audacity has the ability to have you show it what noise is (1 sec selected of your clicking controller), and remove it.

I believe it's called Noise Removal in the plugins.

You're liable to get a lot of distortion with that though. Noise removal works great for white noise, but legitimate "sounds"...it gets icky.

I like how everyone else has legitimate audio tech help, and my second option was to build a sound proof box that you can stick your hands into.

Back