HOW TO MONETIZE GAMEPLAY - It Is Possible [Easy]

JoyfulCreativeGeek

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Really interesting topic because I plan to make a few gaming-oriented videos and also because I have alrady made software tutorial videos and I am not really sure if I am allowed to later monetize these because it shows the user interface of the software that I am doing the tutorial about (and even encourage others to buy the software because I found it useful myself).

RawrIncGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Really interesting topic because I plan to make a few gaming-oriented videos and also because I have alrady made software tutorial videos and I am not really sure if I am allowed to later monetize these because it shows the user interface of the software that I am doing the tutorial about (and even encourage others to buy the software because I found it useful myself).
If you made tutorials that is considered "fair-use" as it was created to be educational.
You're good to go sir.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
This is really terrible advice. Gaming footage, software footage and the like is not 'fair use' whether you add commentary, disclaimers or whatever you like. It's copyrighted material to whoever owns the rights to the game and that includes any music contained within that game or visuals.

There are one or two games (like Minecraft) where the devs clearly state you can monetise your vids without any kind of backlash, but try doing that with a Call of Duty video. You'd be banned before you know it once the devs got wind of it.

You will only wind up with strikes or content claims if you do this. It really isn't worth it.

RawrIncGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is really terrible advice. Gaming footage, software footage and the like is not 'fair use' whether you add commentary, disclaimers or whatever you like. It's copyrighted material to whoever owns the rights to the game and that includes any music contained within that game or visuals.

There are one or two games (like Minecraft) where the devs clearly state you can monetise your vids without any kind of backlash, but try doing that with a Call of Duty video. You'd be banned before you know it once the devs got wind of it.

You will only wind up with strikes or content claims if you do this. It really isn't worth it.
I have been working with Networks for over a year already. Under fair use you may monetize.
The reason a commentary would be fair-use and able to be monetized is because you are not using the game footage alone to make money. You are using the commentary to make money and have the gameplay as a visual. The only reason you are not allowed to monetize only gameplay is because you are using the dev's work to make money off of it.

Also, you are required to follow some guidelines such as removing game audio, and removing the cut-scenes, unless you are partnered with a network that provides the proper licenses or you have purchased your own license.

Unknown_User11

Account Closed Upon Request
Reaction score
I have been working with Networks for over a year already. Under fair use you may monetize.
The reason a commentary would be fair-use and able to be monetized is because you are not using the game footage alone to make money. You are using the commentary to make money and have the gameplay as a visual. The only reason you are not allowed to monetize only gameplay is because you are using the dev's work to make money off of it.

Also, you are required to follow some guidelines such as removing game audio, and removing the cut-scenes, unless you are partnered with a network that provides the proper licenses or you have purchased your own license.
So it's safe to say, if you are starting out on YouTube and not partnered. Stay away from copywritten material.

RawrIncGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So it's safe to say, if you are starting out on YouTube and not partnered. Stay away from copywritten material.
Unless you know what you're doing and what your limitations are.

Reactions: AJBBB

GafferGames

YTTalk's Local Sloth
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Honestly I don't see why you would monetize your videos without a network anyway, google adsense works off of clicking ads, and nobody does that, so you aren't going to make much money unless you are a really big channel, but most of the people that use it are small channels, and if you wish to do this just to make money off it, that's not gonna go down well. Moral of the story, dont monetize unless the content is only yours, or wait until you are with a legit network.

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I just posted this because I recently read a post where it said do not monetize gameplay or you will get raped with copyright.
I can't monetize fifa 13 and minecraft and black ops 2 because of the music.