How to Make Awesome Thumbnails

MasonHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think aslong as you follow these tips most thumbnails look good!

KitKat_Paddywack

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
I'm still playing with mine but these are some great basic tips. Thank you!

JustAnotherLoser

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'll keep those tips in mind =D I'm having so much fun working on thumbnails haha (feel free to check 'em out, any feedbacks appreciated!)
Learning some tutos for photoshop or this kind of graphic design softaware can be a cool thing to do to =D

ShyGirlGetsLoud

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips![DOUBLEPOST=1415146036,1415145937][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for the tips! I will give it a try

Tiggy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for this, helped alot. I make custom thumbnails that apply to certain uploads now. So if I make a series about Slenderman, all the thumbnails are related.

Jey

Reaction score
Hey guys, a lot of people have been asking, so I though I'd share a bit of my knowledge about making thumbnails with PS, and how to make them amazing looking that are bound to get your videos a few more views!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Make sure the dimension size is 1920 by 1080 (for best quality)

1). Firstly, make sure not to do what I call typical styles. Now by this I mean don't do what has been done a million times before, like using the same overlays everyone always does. Though some are great and should be used, try testing out with a few and changing them up a bit. By doing this your text will have a smooth, unique look to it

2). Though this is pretty obvious, USE STROKE AND DROP SHADOW! No doubt without these your text will look so much worse. Pretty well everyone uses these, but it truly is vital to use them.

3). Thirdly, be sure to add extra textures and overlays to your text. Download some pattern overlays, and use them with your text. It will look amazing if you put down the opacity of the overlay, so it doesn't distract the viewer from the actual text and the rest of the thumbnail. Download some transparent flashes, and add them to the sides of the text, or behind! All little things like this can make thumbnails incredible... but only if they are done correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1). For the rest of thumbnail, you must make sure it is clean. By this I mean be sure not to add too much or too little. If you are doing a thumbnail for a let's play, behind your text possibly have a picture of the game (if it is a unique custom drawing it's even better). Don't add lots of text, but enough so the viewer knows what he is watching.

2). If you are doing a custom colour background, possibly and a pattern with low opacity for a great effect!

3). Just make sure no parts are blurry: you want full HD!

I really hope this helped. If you have any problems what so every comment down below! And subscribe to my channel if you like, I do lots of GFX and give free thumbnail, banner, and intro templates!
Thanks actually pretty useful.

JustLaWr

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My advices:
- find a special font that you like, looks great and it's easy to read
- make your own original style for thumbnails, so people will recognize your videos easier.
- don't use so saturated colors or text too colored, make the thumbnail decent and easy to read.