How much is too much when it comes to tags?

TonyTri

Tagging your videos with keywords is just as important as the content of the video itself. My question is how much is too much when it comes to tags? Obviously you want to tag as much as possible in regards to the content of the video. What happens if you tag it with keywords that have nothing to do it? Will you get the Youtube banhammer?

Thanks
Tony

I'd say only use the important ones relevant to your video.
Also, what you write in your description of the video is equally important as it takes that into account when search results are compiled too.

Tagging your videos with keywords is just as important as the content of the video itself. My question is how much is too much when it comes to tags? Obviously you want to tag as much as possible in regards to the content of the video. What happens if you tag it with keywords that have nothing to do it? Will you get the Youtube banhammer?

Thanks
Tony

I find tags can be SO helpful. People can add any tags they want, but the only bad thing that will happen is that you'll get an unrelated audience (for e.g. tagging 'boobs' in a MW3 video) who will neither comment nor subscribe and will lamp you with low viewer retention. Just think of every possible word that relates to your vid -- even use a thesaurus to help (find synonyms of war, if your video is a MW3 video for e.g.) Hope that helps!

I find tags can be SO helpful. People can add any tags they want, but the only bad thing that will happen is that you'll get an unrelated audience (for e.g. tagging 'boobs' in a MW3 video) who will neither comment nor subscribe and will lamp you with low viewer retention. Just think of every possible word that relates to your vid -- even use a thesaurus to help (find synonyms of war, if your video is a MW3 video for e.g.) Hope that helps!

Or, like I said, tagging "seashells" and "body piercings" in a soccer video ;)

i agree to only use tag words that are related to ur video. u want the ppl who want to watch ur type of video, to find ur video, and want to watch more of u.

When it comes to tags you should create a set of "standard tags" for your channel that apply to any video you publish. The number of tags isn't important. There is no perfect number of tags, but the tags should be topically accurate and concise. And don't forget to actively update older videos tags when new search trends emerge.

Back