How ANYONE can monetize gameplay WITHOUT a network: A lesson in Fair Use

AFTER reading this thread... (select all that apply)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The main thing is we might own the game, but we don't own the liscense, the characters, the logo, etc. that's what happened when Capcom released sf x Tekken with on disc Dlc that hackers found. The main argument was that yes you own the disk but not the liscense.

I really hate to say this since it makes me look like a hypocritical since I do a game review where obviously the main draw are the games we review... But we don't own the games and are basically making money off someone else's work. Like that one guy that makes money off of others viral videos and just adding his commentary to it.

That's why the Nintendo claim thing doesn't p**s me off. Might suck for you guys but they have every right to do it. It's THEIR property not ours.

I fully agree with you, but you have one thing backwards. We don't actually own the game, the game developer owns the game. When you buy a game in the store you buy a limited license to USE the game.

It's a delicate balance between YouTubers and developers. What I was pointing out earlier was basically that the law can prohibit people from making money on game footage. But it can never be completely prohibited to record and upload game footage.

But yes, I agree. Developers and YouTubers are in a sort of unspoken mutual understanding where both parties benefit. The developer gets free exposure for their game and in return they allow us to make a buck or two for our troubles. They don't HAVE to do that and so I won't be mad one moment when a developer decides to claim the videos for themselves. I would get mad if they demand the video is taken down though. That is not their right and not their business.

SLVRDLLR

Reaction score
Very helpful thread, thank you Flammy and Parallax Abstraction! I'm facing the exact same issue as this helps clarifies things. I'm glad this is stickied. I read it as saying:
1) All gameplay footage is copyrighted
2) To get around it you need permission from copyright owner
3) YouTube has a random system that will flag some videos and not others
4) If you're with a network you avoid this random system (but you'll still be technically infringing someones copyright)
5) It's up to the publisher and most publishers don't pursue these gameplay video infringements unless there's a reason (i.e. damage to brand, hardline policy, etc)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Dude, did you even read these terms fully?

Steam:
  • You are free to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites. Please don't ask us to write YouTube and tell them its fine with us to post a particular video using Valve content. It's not possible to respond to each such request. Point them to this page.

Riot Games:
  • You may run ads or other revenue streams that don’t interfere with a user’s access to the video, subject to the “No Licensing” guideline below.

JustSomeGermanDude

Experted expert in expertness.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Dude, did you even read these terms fully?

Steam:
  • You are free to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites. Please don't ask us to write YouTube and tell them its fine with us to post a particular video using Valve content. It's not possible to respond to each such request. Point them to this page.

Riot Games:
  • You may run ads or other revenue streams that don’t interfere with a user’s access to the video, subject to the “No Licensing” guideline below.
1.) Don't confuse Steam with Valve.

2.) What are you referring to? / What's your point?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
1.) Don't confuse Steam with Valve.

2.) What are you referring to? / What's your point?
Sorry, I meant 'Valve', I just read through the links in the actual post, and found on all three of them that you are allowed to monetise your videos on YouTube, as long at you don't charge people to see it directly.

JustSomeGermanDude

Experted expert in expertness.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry, I meant 'Valve', I just read through the links in the actual post, and found on all three of them that you are allowed to monetise your videos on YouTube, as long at you don't charge people to see it directly.
Yeah, and he did say those are examples for companies that let you monetize, that's why I can't quite follow you...

Insidific

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great thread, really useful, going to be taking this into account when it comes to running my channel :)

Relex

Potato Master
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Flammy! Big fan here! nice little thread, never really knew this, this should definetley help in future gaming videos I make and monetize.

Dragonelo

Reaction score
What happens to my youtube account if I leave a video(monetize enabled) that is 'matched third party content' in my video manager? Please reply. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.