Haters are your New Best Friend.

What? Haters aren't my best friend! My best friends are my best friends!

Wrong.

When you sign up to Youtube you are given two things. A microphone and an invisibility cloak. You become an anonymous voice. You see some girl "singing" about one of the days of the week badly? You slate her, no second thoughts. No way though, would you gather your family and friends round, go up to Rebecca Black's door and just shout at her until she was bawling her eyes out. That's because you are anonymous on the internet, so there are no repurcussions, no social consequences. After commenting hate on a video you will still have your wife, your job, your friends. And that's the beauty of it.

Let me put it like this. Have you ever watched X factor? Usually in the auditions someone will come up, stand centre stage, open their mouth and utter crap will come out. The judges will tell them they aren't good at singing and the contestant goes home. But how did the contestant get enough confidence to go up on stage anyway? Their friends and family told them they were good because they didn't want to harm them. The judges though? They don't care.

So what I'm steering at here is, that your friends won't tell you that your lighting sucks, your jokes aren't funny, your videos have no plot and you're a cocky vlogger. The haters will though. The haters will tell you how to make your videos better. And for that, you should thank them, no matter how hard it is to do so. Just swallow your pride and watch your video again from their point of view.

Your friends don't tell you (unless they're brutally honest) because they don't want to hurt you/ lose friendship. You don't tell yourself because we all see ourselves through rose-tinted spectacles since we are the ones who create the content. However the haters, will drop a comment and move on.

So thank you.

(N.B. I'm not referring to trolls, who are actual saddos with no life that will leave hate on every single video no matter how good/ bad it is, I'm talking about one time constructive criticism.)

My name is Patrick Gallagher or MrToastbuster aaaaand this is just taken from personal experience. :p

some dude going "lolz die in a fire you suckz man" yeah but you also have to read how they type to know how many brain cells they have. :)

hate views are good if you just want a lot of views but surely it wouldn't work if you wanted to gain actual followers?

hate views are good if you just want a lot of views but surely it wouldn't work if you wanted to gain actual followers?
lol, no I'm not looking for hate views either, it's more about constructive criticism. accepting your weaknesses and listening to what your audience says, through both encouragement and discouragement can help define what makes your videos so good, and therefore gain a following!

Haters can turn into lovers real fast. Alot of times they just don't get what you were trying to do, or they are misinterpreting your intentions, sometimes their criticism is dead on and they're expecting you to come back all butt hurt. If you make a joke about it, or agree with them, or ask them what they'd like to see you do differently, and show them respect and kindness, and tell them their opinion is important to you, often times they lighten up, start seeing you in a more positive light, and can even become fans.

I have had a couple of haters but their comments consisted of a lot ofcursing that had nothing to do with the video, are they still my best friends? :L :)

Back