Hardest type of channel to run?

I'd also like to mention music channels, since they spend a long time on their music, and then struggle to find a good visual to show, if its original music, what would get someone to watch it? you can't even rely on exciting thumbnails.

Yep! I imagine covers are easier actually, because then people actually KNOW what to search for. But original music?...

What I do is I always include the genre/type of music in the title FIRST and then add the actual name of the song/piece after.

Also lots of people search for royalty free music so I realised it was a good idea to also make some royalty free stuff, and I always put "ROYALTY FREE" at the very beginning of the title. Like this: ROYALTY FREE - GENRE - NAME

Another thing you can do is to try to get your music on other channels. For example, I recently contacted someone who runs a royalty free music channel and asked if they wanted to upload my music. Now my latest (royalty free) piece is actually on there and has around 700 views! :)

Oh and yes, the visuals are definitely very important too!

Last edited:
I have had several channels. My hardest channel was my automotive / 'How to' channel.
To change a part on a car whilst filming makes it take 10 times longer. Figuring out where best for positioning/lighting/sound/re-takes etc is a pain.
That's why I now stick to my current 'easy' channel.

I agree ANIMATION channels are most difficult to run because animations are made frame wise and contribution of voice artists. It takes lot of effort for animation channels. So animation channels are hardest to run.

Lifehack channels, definitely. I'm thinking of Wengie specifically, her videos are long, well edited and just beautifully made and everything she shows is useful and inspiring, there must be a lot of work behind her and the other channels of this kind, I have a lot of respect for them.

Gaming is the biggest and most saturated type of genre on YouTube - I'd say it's the hardest to grow - easy to manage though if you ever get it actually rolling.

I actually think Gaming Channels are the easiest to run, but hard to be successful.

I think they're oversaturated because they are so easy.

I personally think its either a gaming channel because its so oversaturated, or a animation channel because you have to put in so much work and your watch time is usually very low.

I think those how to videos. If you think about it they put so much effort and then they have to film for a while depending on what they are explaining. It seems like a lot of work to me.

Yep! I imagine covers are easier actually, because then people actually KNOW what to search for. But original music?...

What I do is I always include the genre/type of music in the title FIRST and then add the actual name of the song/piece after.

Also lots of people search for royalty free music so I realised it was a good idea to also make some royalty free stuff, and I always put "ROYALTY FREE" at the very beginning of the title. Like this: ROYALTY FREE - GENRE - NAME

Another thing you can do is to try to get your music on other channels. For example, I recently contacted someone who runs a royalty free music channel and asked if they wanted to upload my music. Now my latest (royalty free) piece is actually on there and has around 700 views! :)

Oh and yes, the visuals are definitely very important too!
that's some great ideas! ill let my friends that do music channels know :)

I personally think its either a gaming channel because its so oversaturated, or a animation channel because you have to put in so much work and your watch time is usually very low.
Gaming,There's loads of them and viewers can't watch all

My channel is generally hard to run, since my videos typically take numerous days to complete.
Recording, script writing, editing, etc.
It's a process.

Back