Hardest type of channel to run?

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think the car guys have it rough... trying to run an automotive channel? Aftermarket parts aren't cheap. Install time can be lengthy. Delays are common. Recording can require multiple cameras, microphones and the tedious process of setting them up and synching them. Control over your environment is next to impossible with the sound, light and background constantly in flux, editing the three different parts means 3x longer production times. It's even likely you might need a filming permit and/or permission to film on private property. And at the end of the day, their market is so small, even the biggest channel [Motortrend] at twice the views of the second biggest automotive channel and the most subscribers in their market, needed half a dozen regularly posting shows to get to their number one spot. And for all their hard work, they can't even crack the top 500 YouTube channels list...

...how much more difficult can a channel get?!

Reactions: Lekjih

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think cooking channels can be quite hard work depending what you want out of it. I post 2 times a week which can mean a good couple of hours filming plus buying ingredients and such. But the fact I enjoy it immensely negates those things.

KYCnick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think they're all tough. There's just so many videos and so many channels now.
You really have to be unique, have a huge budget to promote or be just that damn good to stand out.

I really wish I started this 10 years ago.

Cosy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I personally think its either a gaming channel because its so oversaturated, or a animation channel because you have to put in so much work and your watch time is usually very low.
Totally agree mate :)

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The channel with a big production. Gaming, simple 2d animations, tech, that can all be done by one person. There are however channels with an entire production crew. Lighting, camera, drones, script writers etc. For instance those parody channels, or comedy sketches. these need a LOT of equipment and a lot of people (usually), so I'd say those are the hardest. You always depend on someone or something. I could be wrong tho.
But generally, its all individual.

Last edited:

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Channels with no commentary, straight gameplay channels, cinematic channels, vlog channels, or gaming channels that are just starting out.

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the car guys have it rough... trying to run an automotive channel? Aftermarket parts aren't cheap. Install time can be lengthy. Delays are common. Recording can require multiple cameras, microphones and the tedious process of setting them up and synching them. Control over your environment is next to impossible with the sound, light and background constantly in flux, editing the three different parts means 3x longer production times. It's even likely you might need a filming permit and/or permission to film on private property. And at the end of the day, their market is so small, even the biggest channel [Motortrend] at twice the views of the second biggest automotive channel and the most subscribers in their market, needed half a dozen regularly posting shows to get to their number one spot. And for all their hard work, they can't even crack the top 500 YouTube channels list...

...how much more difficult can a channel get?!
I hadn't considered that, but it sounds pretty difficult. Maybe if they worked as a mechanic or owned their own shop so they could film stuff everyday, it'd be a little easier/cheaper.

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I hadn't considered that, but it sounds pretty difficult. Maybe if they worked as a mechanic or owned their own shop so they could film stuff everyday, it'd be a little easier/cheaper.
Indeed. For a general automotive "how-to" channel, being a shop owner or the like could make it a little easier/cheaper as your source material is right in front of you. Though balancing filming with getting cars repaired quickly... a new difficulty. But your idea is on track as a few creators have modeled their channels around that very premise. Kinda cool.

Like SvenInMotion so succinctly said,
The channel with a big production
That's hitting a nail on a head. Being able to produce material or get seen is a problem every creator has, but the greater a channel's reliance on multiple individuals is, the more difficult that channel becomes to run. Well put, Sven.

Reactions: SvenInMotion