Got dropped by MCN looking for advice, it's been years.

Jsnow

Curse is mass dropping people off their network so I caught up in it. I have no community or copyright strikes and they said it was'nt my content. I haven't had to re partner in years so idk what has changed. Curse gave a 90/10 split and i'm not sure of any other mcns that do this.

So my questions are:

1. Is avoiding the content i.d system a myth? Apparently being in a mcn avoids that. I've had one person say yes if i'm an affiliate, but i assume i lose that status once I get dropped.

2. Does adsense pay in paypal or is still a check mailed
  3. Does partnering through youtube make you extra vulnerable to copyright issues or is it the same as a mcn.
  4. For those of you in a mcn or directly with youtube/adsense what has been your experience?
  5. What networks have a 90/10 split or should i just go adsense.

EDIT: I got accepted in the ytpp and am able to monetize videos.

Last edited:
While I cannot answer your questions accurately, as I do not fully know the answers, I can say that I too have been dropped (well, I will be on the 20th) by Curse after being with them for 4 years. I believe it has to do with the requirements that I no longer meet... which I think I actually do meet... so I'm in a similar situation as you.

However:

1. I believe it is a myth. I have only 4 videos with a copyright claim, all Let's Plays... so my voice is present over the top of the music but the I.D system still caught it.
2. Good question, hopefully PayPal though.
3. I think it's the same via the YouTube Partner Program and an MCN.
4. I've been with a network and the experience has been fine. Always paid on time, always there to help if you have a question... not sure about YouTubes Partner Program though.
5. I think Curse is and has always been the only MCN to offer a 90/10 split. I think ex-MCN Creative Nation did it (or 80/20) but I don't know of any other MCNs that give such a high revenue split.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

While I cannot answer your questions accurately, as I do not fully know the answers, I can say that I too have been dropped (well, I will be on the 20th) by Curse after being with them for 4 years. I believe it has to do with the requirements that I no longer meet... which I think I actually do meet... so I'm in a similar situation as you.

However:

1. I believe it is a myth. I have only 4 videos with a copyright claim, all Let's Plays... so my voice is present over the top of the music but the I.D system still caught it.
2. Good question, hopefully PayPal though.
3. I think it's the same via the YouTube Partner Program and an MCN.
4. I've been with a network and the experience has been fine. Always paid on time, always there to help if you have a question... not sure about YouTubes Partner Program though.
5. I think Curse is and has always been the only MCN to offer a 90/10 split. I think ex-MCN Creative Nation did it (or 80/20) but I don't know of any other MCNs that give such a high revenue split.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If curse is the only one with the 90/10 split and if the copyright system is still the same regardless then I guess it would be better going adsense. Only downside is I did some research and i did not see anything about paypal and a google search says it dosen't so i assume it check in the mail which sucks

Hey JSnow Did your monotization still ON after drop out from MCN

you are with YouTube so monotization working you don't have to go review process

if you joined network my advice is zoomingame i know they payment paid problem but it now working fine.

80/20 revenue but i am getting 85/15

Hey JSnow Did your monotization still ON after drop out from MCN

you are with YouTube so monotization working you don't have to go review process

if you joined network my advice is zoomingame i know they payment paid problem but it now working fine.

80/20 revenue but i am getting 85/15

I don't get dropped till the 20th (thought it was tomorrow) so idk yet. Do you mean that if my montization is still on that means i'm automatically partnered with youtube? Even though i don't how that would work since they don't pay my paypal.

Adsense doesn't pay through Paypal.

You need to connect a bank account to Adsense in order to receive payments; which are sent electronically, directly to your bank. You won't be allowed to connect your bank account until you have earned a certain amount of ad revenue and have also verified your home address with a PIN; which Adsense will mail to you through your country's postal service.

At this point, anyone who has been dropped from an MCN will need to reapply to the YouTube Partner Program directly; and connecting an Adsense account is part of the procedure for applying. Without a connected Adsense your application will show in your Channel Features Monetization section as "application incomplete".

@Jsnow Having no copyright strikes doesn't mean there aren't copyright issues on your channel; and it looks as though from your post, Curse has dropped you for having unlicensed third party copyright content on there.

YouTube is refusing monetization to such channels on the grounds of "Duplication". Attempted monetization of unlicensed content under third party copyright, is against both the YPP rules and Adsense policy. If you don't delete all unlicensed third-party owned content from your channel before you attempt to set up an Adsense account, you will likely be disapproved by Adsense.

Just a head's up for you...and I just found your main problem. Read the section of the VRChat EULA pasted below, paying close attention to the parts I have bolded.

"4. VRChat Software License. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with the terms and conditions in this EULA (including without limitation payment of any applicable fees and compliance with all license restrictions), VRChat grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to each copy of the Desktop Client or Mobile App (collectively, the “VRChat Software”) downloaded directly from VRChat’s website or from a legitimate marketplace (such as the Oculus, Steam, Samsung, or PlayStation store), solely in object code format, for your personal use for lawful purposes, on a single compatible mobile device you own or control, and to access and use the Service in accordance with this EULA. You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform the VRChat Software or any part of the Service. Unless, and solely to the extent that, such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law or applicable third party license, you may not: (a) decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise access or attempt to access the source code for the VRChat Software, or make or attempt to make any modification to the VRChat Software; or (b) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the VRChat Software, including without limitation any security, or access control mechanism. You may not use the VRChat Software or the Service for any purpose other than a purpose for which the VRChat Software and the Service are expressly designed. The term VRChat Software, as used in this EULA, includes any update or modification to the VRChat Software made available to you by VRChat (unless provided with separate terms). If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the VRChat Software or the Service, you may not use them. You represent and covenant that you have complied and will continue to comply with the rights and obligations set forth in this Section 4 with regards to your use of any Service previously downloaded or accessed."

A. The VRChat software is being "publicly performed and broadcast" on your YouTube channel.

B. "Personal Use" is not creation of monetized videos. That is "Commercial Use", and is forbidden by VRChat's EULA.

C. By creating video interviews out of VRChat sessions, you are using the Software and Service in a way for which it was not specifically designed.

I think you are in a bit of trouble here.

Last edited:
Curse is mass dropping people off their network so I caught up in it. I have no community or copyright strikes and they said it was'nt my content. I haven't had to re partner in years so idk what has changed. Curse gave a 90/10 split and i'm not sure of any other mcns that do this.

So my questions are:

1. Is avoiding the content i.d system a myth? Apparently being in a mcn avoids that. I've had one person say yes if i'm an affiliate, but i assume i lose that status once I get dropped.

2. Does adsense pay in paypal or is still a check mailed
  3. Does partnering through youtube make you extra vulnerable to copyright issues or is it the same as a mcn.
  4. For those of you in a mcn or directly with youtube/adsense what has been your experience?
  5. What networks have a 90/10 split or should i just go adsense.

1. It's a myth. MCNs don't really help in that regard. You are supposed to have permission from publisher/right holders to monetize gaming content, but nearly all of them allow it or don't care. YouTube doesn't really seem to care either. MCNs take care of this, maybe? Who knows?
2. Check or bank transfer or western union. No paypal.
3. It's the same. MCNs don't give you any special protection.
4. Outside of Broadband TV's monthly reports and their chrome extension, I haven't bothered them much. The few times I've had to contact support were quick and positive, however. They were very nice. In case you are wondering, they do paypal payments.
5. Would honestly go with adsense since I imagine getting a 90/10 split anywhere else must be difficult. I did get a 90/10 split out of bbtv, but that's probably because I've been with them since early 2012 and I had to ask for it. I had no problems getting it.

Everyone is forgetting one other thing here. With a network, you are getting two cuts taken out of your base ad revenue instead of one. So even with a 90/10 network split, you need to factor in YouTube's cut of 45% as well as the network's cut before you know what your payout will be.

Adsense doesn't pay through Paypal.

You need to connect a bank account to Adsense in order to receive payments; which are sent electronically, directly to your bank. You won't be allowed to connect your bank account until you have earned a certain amount of ad revenue and have also verified your home address with a PIN; which Adsense will mail to you through your country's postal service.

At this point, anyone who has been dropped from an MCN will need to reapply to the YouTube Partner Program directly; and connecting an Adsense account is part of the procedure for applying. Without a connected Adsense your application will show in your Channel Features Monetization section as "application incomplete".

@Jsnow Having no copyright strikes doesn't mean there aren't copyright issues on your channel; and it looks as though from your post, Curse has dropped you for having unlicensed third party copyright content on there.

YouTube is refusing monetization to such channels on the grounds of "Duplication". Attempted monetization of unlicensed content under third party copyright, is against both the YPP rules and Adsense policy. If you don't delete all unlicensed third-party owned content from your channel before you attempt to set up an Adsense account, you will likely be disapproved by Adsense.

Just a head's up for you...and I just found your main problem. Read the section of the VRChat EULA pasted below, paying close attention to the parts I have bolded.

"4. VRChat Software License. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with the terms and conditions in this EULA (including without limitation payment of any applicable fees and compliance with all license restrictions), VRChat grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to each copy of the Desktop Client or Mobile App (collectively, the “VRChat Software”) downloaded directly from VRChat’s website or from a legitimate marketplace (such as the Oculus, Steam, Samsung, or PlayStation store), solely in object code format, for your personal use for lawful purposes, on a single compatible mobile device you own or control, and to access and use the Service in accordance with this EULA. You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform the VRChat Software or any part of the Service. Unless, and solely to the extent that, such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law or applicable third party license, you may not: (a) decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise access or attempt to access the source code for the VRChat Software, or make or attempt to make any modification to the VRChat Software; or (b) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the VRChat Software, including without limitation any security, or access control mechanism. You may not use the VRChat Software or the Service for any purpose other than a purpose for which the VRChat Software and the Service are expressly designed. The term VRChat Software, as used in this EULA, includes any update or modification to the VRChat Software made available to you by VRChat (unless provided with separate terms). If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the VRChat Software or the Service, you may not use them. You represent and covenant that you have complied and will continue to comply with the rights and obligations set forth in this Section 4 with regards to your use of any Service previously downloaded or accessed."

A. The VRChat software is being "publicly performed and broadcast" on your YouTube channel.

B. "Personal Use" is not creation of monetized videos. That is "Commercial Use", and is forbidden by VRChat's EULA.

C. By creating video interviews out of VRChat sessions, you are using the Software and Service in a way for which it was not specifically designed.

I think you are in a bit of trouble here.

With VRchat I've had no trouble and curse told me it wasn't my content in a direct email to them. (there are some reasons on reddit people pointed out but cannot confirm since curse did'nt seem to want to answer the question). But yes I guess vrchat could technically get me in trouble but so far there's been nothing done to me and other youtubers who do vrchat stuff. I do know just because someone else does it then you should'nt either but i've been doing it for almost 6 months with no issues.

But if what you say is true about the 3rd party "duplication" is true then are'nt most games an issue do to this and why would'nt the videos match 3rd partys after I got unpartnered and I have no content id matches or copyright notices. Ty for the reply and sorry it took so long. I never got an email notification for this.

With VRchat I've had no trouble and curse told me it wasn't my content in a direct email to them. (there are some reasons on reddit people pointed out but cannot confirm since curse did'nt seem to want to answer the question). But yes I guess vrchat could technically get me in trouble but so far there's been nothing done to me and other youtubers who do vrchat stuff. I do know just because someone else does it then you should'nt either but i've been doing it for almost 6 months with no issues.

But if what you say is true about the 3rd party "duplication" is true then are'nt most games an issue do to this and why would'nt the videos match 3rd partys after I got unpartnered and I have no content id matches or copyright notices. Ty for the reply and sorry it took so long. I never got an email notification for this.
Yes most games are indeed becoming an issue; especially when there is no direct "how to get through this level" type commentary tied to your gameplay. Go up to the Help section for YouTube and search "What Types of Content Can I Monetize?" to see what YouTube has to say on this matter.

Just yesterday, a gamer was complaining on the official Help Forum that the second he was unlinked from Curse, 99% of his content got Content ID claimed. Now it may be that it was Curse itself claiming his content by not releasing his videos from their asset pool; I will need to look into the matter further.

You are still ignoring the parts of the VRChat EULA which say "Personal Use Only", and "no public performance or display". Trying to monetize content which has those statements as part of its license is going to fail, whether or not you've had trouble to date; and when you accept the YPP agreement you represent that you have the proper rights to monetize all content you upload; not just some of it.

Ah well, it's only 6:30 AM here, and I am in no mood to argue with anyone. I'll just wait for you to post the result of your review when it finally happens; and I wish you luck.

Last edited:
Back