Getting Your First 100 Subs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been the opposite for me! I hit 100 some months ago, and I've been hovering around 117 now for about...2+ months. Still trying to put content out there, learn better editing, etc of course! but my growth actually slowed down a lot after 100!

Getting to 100 is the most difficult. After that I started getting distracted with how many death threats I got and never had time to pay attention to the sub count anymore.

Getting your first 100 subs is the hardest milestone in my book cause once you hit a 100 subs, you will just start to gain subs a lot faster. That is something I realize, I guess youtube push you a bit more if you reach a 100 subs or other viewers see you have subscribers and like your content and want to be apart of your subscribers. What do you guys think?
Yeah reaching 100 subs is definatly challenging! Currently stuck on 75 subscribers, Im hoping by midtime this year we will have hit the 100 mark, also hoping what you say is true about it getting alittle easier to get noticed, its difficult when you first start out as there are already so many talented people out there with great channels and content

YouTube is big on the snowball effect. Some ways that growth gets faster and faster as you go:
- The higher your sub count, the more "social proof" you have, social proof is one of the things we as humans look to when acting, if we see other people like someone, we assume they're more trustworthy and safe to like ourselves, so when we see a higher sub count we're much more ready to subscribe to a channel than a lower one.
- The higher your sub count, the more fans and subs who are sharing your content with others, who then become subs themselves.
- Your old videos don't just disappear, so as you release more and more videos, those old ones are still getting new views and subscribers, but now you have say 20x as many videos so 20x as many potential traffic sources for your channel (not including any external/additional marketing you do).
- If your videos are actually good, then the longer they've been around and the more people have seen them the higher their ranking will get (I say if they're good, because it's all about watch time, not the number of views)

As for reaching the 100+ sub mark, I've only started work on this channel a month and a half ago, I'm at 78 so far, though the past week has been a kind of lull in activity because of Christmas, New Years, etc - but I have a few videos that are on the first couple of pages in search results for popular search terms so those are still bringing in new subs (including my first ever video which has brought me probably half of my subs so far despite my poor editing etc).

I think the key to speeding up your subscriber gains is a few things:
- Make highly searchable videos, i.e. think what would your target audience be searching for, and target long tail tags for those terms, since search is one of the most reliable ways to get found if your videos have a good retention rate
- Remember a call-to-action in the videos, ask viewers to subscribe towards the end of the video, and explain how it's going to benefit them rather than asking them to do it for you, i.e. for example I tell viewers to subscribe because I have new videos out on Wednesdays and Saturdays and then remind them a little of what those videos offer.
- Post regular videos. The more videos you have up, the more places people can find you. Say you're a gaming channel, if you only do videos for one game, that's only one small group of search terms that'll find your videos, and if you aren't ranking high in search for those, that isn't very many people coming in. If however you start making lots of videos on lots of different games, you can blow up in subscribers big time when you end up being one of the first videos out for a game that goes viral. Some examples of this would be Agar.io or that new Who's Your Daddy game - both of them turned some unknowns into big hit channels virtually overnight just because those people covered them when the games were new.

I agree it is very hard to get subs early on. I'm on 70 and am setting myself a target off 100 by the end of January but we shall see how successful i am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back