Gaming Channels -- what NOT to do

KiddoCabbusses

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If I may add another thing to place here.
I'd suggest "Don't mute out/replace your game audio if you don't have to" for people who tend to fiddle with the audio.
This is mostly because I recall before the "Let's Play" era, a lot of videogame videos on Youtube would be a video of a supposed "stunt" or even just regular gameplay, but the audio would be some grunge rock or rap instead of the in-game audio. This was common enough that I tended to prefer looking for videogame gameplay videos elsewhere. I find this really off-putting, because
1) Many times these are removing examples of great video game music in favor of what is either "hip" or "mainstream" to the uploader, and these tastes may cause unnecessary clashing with people who may otherwise enjoy your video.
2) The actual musical choices may jar with the tone of the game (Especially apparent with early JRPGs or platformers)
3) The muting of in-game music and SFX breaks immersion into the video.
4) The popular choices for music replacing tend to be copyrighted anyway.

Of course, I'm not sure how relevant this all is now - in an era where XBLA games have custom soundtrack options this is a tad less an issue because you can at least play music without muting SFX, But I hope this is useful anyhow.

DawgethPlays

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Frankie - Great Article! A lot of great valid points, as well as people that have responded with their tips as well.

A lot of people think that you can just put a video out there and get rich fast.. Thats blatantly false haha. And its always good to see these folks just kind of fade away...

Combining being original and your tips, I should be able to improve my channel a bit.

Thanks!

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
really good thread! love the points you covered in this! :) can't agree more with them all! :) my friends just started and their only goal is money.. it's rather funny really, mainly because I've never seen a channel fall harder on it's face then their 4 channels... that's right 4.. :') they've tried to make a whole network of channels like the yogscast!

DawgethPlays

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
really good thread! love the points you covered in this! :) can't agree more with them all! :) my friends just started and their only goal is money.. it's rather funny really, mainly because I've never seen a channel fall harder on it's face then their 4 channels... that's right 4.. :') they've tried to make a whole network of channels like the yogscast!
You can completely tell the difference between someone that loves doing it and someone that is forcing themselves because of monetary possibilities.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You can completely tell the difference between someone that loves doing it and someone that is forcing themselves because of monetary possibilities.
you sure can :) I love doing youtube :D love getting feedback and knowing that someone somewhere is actually watched a video I've posted :) it also gives me something to do (not in a because I have nothing to do way, but in an extra thing to do) which means I have to be more organised with my life to make sure I can get videos out on the right days :)

lulucrafter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
amazing and truthful article! this is very helpful for newcomers like myself :p

Nolousproductions

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a really ood article and Iwill myself surely put these good tips to use!

sn4g

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
thanks for this thread its pretty helpful!