Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Well said! I agree with the article!

THEXREACTER

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
awesome tips frankie..i agree with the "don't do it for partnership" it seems like everybody nowadays wants to starts a youtube channel to get partnership and earn money..

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru, Comedian
Thank you for being realistic while helpful - though I must say, one could act immature to gain attention and controversy, only such reputations never go away...

Hellsiepwn

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
A simple list of things that will kill your channel quicker than you can blink (for a quicker read, just read the stuff highlighted in red):

Don't record your game footage with a camera. If you can't afford the software or capture card, think of something else to do with your channel until you can. If you'll never afford it, think of something else to do with your channel, full stop. Nobody wants to watch 20 minutes of gameplay filmed from 8 feet away from your telly with the sounds of the neighbour's kids arguing in the garden.

Newcomers: are you literally the best channel EVER? Truthfully? Probably not right now, right? Don't slam other channels. Ever. You're new, and you have a reputation to build up. You have 10 subscribers and 250 views. You're proud of this, but you see someone else who started a week later with 50 subscribers and 1,000 views. WTF, right? Even if you don't like their content, and don't believe it should be more popular - evidently there are people that DO. Be a good sport, don't go on their channel stomping them down - you'll look childish, and you'll look jealous. We all need to help one another out in the 'small timer' community. Ask them for advice or tips, see what tricks they can share with you.

Don't do it for the Partnership. I can't say any more here. I hate to throw this reality nugget at your noggin but the fact is this: you very likely won't ever get rich, or famous, from YouTube. Those raking in their millions have done this job for seven years, so don't think that it'll take any less time (in fact it'll take more, given how crammed with channels YT has become). If you're in it for the money, your channel will fail.

Don't give up. It takes time. I've said this before but it bears repeating: it's not a race. If your content is good enough, the people will trickle in, but that doesn't mean they'll come in overnight! If they're not trickling, but you're plugging your stuff a decent amount, take another look at your content and ask yourself what the problem could be.

Don't mix your channel genres. Like television, or film, you need to pick your style and stick to it. Having a make up vlog with the odd gaming commentary and random vlog thrown in might bring in the odd view, but usually if people are into one style of video they won't be hugely big on the other.
Agreed, but you missed out "Don't Spam" It's alright to promote yourself and most people enjoy finding someone new to watch, but after about the 3rd post/mail/request it gets less like promotion and more like smacking people in the face repeatedly with content they might have once liked but now cannot stand.

Jason Liu

Master GFX Designer/Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer
Great post and these are what I am not doing :D

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A simple list of things that will kill your channel quicker than you can blink (for a quicker read, just read the stuff highlighted in red):

Don't record your game footage with a camera. lmao true that. I use a DVD Recorder now to get my footage cause it's cheaper and was a faster solution at the time than buying a video capture card. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and you can't say 'I'll start making my channel.... next year when I buy a capture card'. I say as long as it looks ok in general and is interesting enough to make up for lack of HD, I'd watch it. Also avoid making em too long. I've seen super crisp HD gaming videos that bored me after 10 seconds, or were over a half hour long that made me say 'oh the hell with this' and watch something else.

Newcomers: are you literally the best channel EVER? Truthfully? Probably not right now, right? Don't slam other channels. Ever. Exactly. Being a small-timer or n00b, you got no right to even touch the big name channels. And even if you do reach their over 9000 sub/fans status, it makes you look like a douche and will make you lose fans.

Don't do it for the Partnership. you very likely won't ever get rich, or famous, from YouTube. Exactly. Do it for the fun of it. You have a greater chance going viral filming your cute little kitten slip and fall off a piano than you do with a gaming video.

Don't give up. It takes time. Exactly. Never give up. You'll get your audience. Start with your friends and go from there.

Don't mix your channel genres. Depends a little on what you're going for. If you're going for all-out gaming... and have 50-60 gaming videos up.... it does kinda ruin the flow to suddenly have a video on how to fly a kite. If it's something related, it shouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't be TOO surprised if a channel devoted to RE let's plays had a video of the guy telling his review of the latest RE movies. You can mix it up if you establish it early on, or if the channel is already named -for example- Gaming and Anime R Us' or whatever. But don't wait until you typecast yourself as an all-out gamer and suddenly turn the channel into the 'my favorite food of the week' channel.