Game Trailers - No monetization?

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Hey all,

I'm curious if it's okay to post game trailers up if there is no monetization of any kind on the video, no commentary, and I link back to the official/original links?

If not, what if I add commentary?

Curious for future channels or otherwise.

You may get a "Matched third party content" next to your video if you're running the entire length of the trailer, or really any length I think. So long as you do not monetize it, it shouldn't be much of a problem, as far as I am aware. :) So add commentary and all that Jazz, but don't be surprised if you see that next to your video. Again as long as you don't monetize, it shouldn't really be an issue at all!

Hey all,

I'm curious if it's okay to post game trailers up if there is no monetization of any kind on the video, no commentary, and I link back to the official/original links?

If not, what if I add commentary?

Curious for future channels or otherwise.
gotta take risk sometimes!

Last edited:
If you don't have permission/rights to use the content, you shouldn't be uploading it. You'll most likely get a third party claim on the video. Whether you monetize the video or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's copyrighted content.

I know it's probably one of those TOS type violations, but it seems like if you had a popular game trailer on your channel, Un monetizdd, you can get a lot of views and maybe people would check out your channel after.

But 3rd party strikes are bad too, no?

As far I know uploading trailers without permission is the best way to get a strike.:hungry2:

This is one of those wierd copyright things that bugs me a great deal. For starters, you most likely won't get a strike, however do expect a content match and that the content owner will be running ads on your video. I should mention that I'm referring to game trailers specifically. I don't know enough about Movie trailers to make a judgement on how safe they are.

The reason it boggles my mind is because game companies put these trailers and other "B" reel material into their press packs. They are specifically given to companies to use for purposes exactly like YouTube and other video media. And then they go and put the stuff into ContentID defeating the whole purpose of giving it out in the first place. You would think that as a smart company, they would relish in the idea of EVERYONE uploading their trailers all across YouTube whether monetized or not because the sheer expense of that kind of exposure is amazingly high.

I've done that once, I've played the video first then talked about it. It was fine. It's The Walking Dead Season 2 - Telltale games. I'm not sure about Activision, ubisoft, and other companies though.

Back