Does YouTube make it a little difficult for newbies, just to weed out real content creator vs fake?

I assume maybe only a certain number of YouTubers can do well. It appears YouTube subtracted some of my views. I had 53 views on 1 video then it went to 23 views.

YouTube isn't some nefarious company that's screwing over channels because of their size or age. If you had views removed, it's because they were from bots or from some other inauthentic form of clicks.

The sheer number of YouTube creators uploading videos and people watching makes it pretty much impossible for YouTube to implement a strategy of taking any interest in one size of channel, one type of channel, or one particular channel over others. Quite often, their automated processes have some unintended consequences, but there is literally no upside to having smaller channels find it difficult to thrive.

I find it so weird that people see Youtube as this thinking, living entity. It's not. There is not a man clicking through all your videos and purposely screwing you over. It is a site, a system. There are people sitting in an office somewhere who have never made a video in their life, thinking about how they can appeal to a lot of people and make money. They adjust the workings of the site accordingly, often without even faintly understanding how this impacts certain users.

Look at what happened to the animators. The old algorithm favored videos which were watched completely. So animations (which take an incredible amount of time to make) which were 3 or 4 minutes long, but were watched for the full 100% did really good! But then Youtube realized the retention of the site was too low and they wanted people to spend more time watching videos. So they changed the algorithm to favor watch time instead. Suddenly, animators saw their views and revenue drop, because YT wasn't pushing their 4 minute videos anymore, but instead was pushing videos with longer watch times. Let's plays skyrocketed, because even if people only watch 15 minutes of a 45 minute let's play, it was better than a full 4 minutes. This is also why vloggers and opinion channels suddenly tried to hit the 15 minute mark, because the algorithm favors it.
Did Youtube hate the animators? No. Did they purposely wanted to hurt their channels? No. Youtube steered their company in a different direction and did not even faintly realized what this would mean for a specific portion of their creators. Because they don't think that way.

So please stop refering to Youtube as an entity. It's a company. A platform. Don't expect miracles.

I find it so weird that people see Youtube as this thinking, living entity. It's not. There is not a man clicking through all your videos and purposely screwing you over. It is a site, a system. There are people sitting in an office somewhere who have never made a video in their life, thinking about how they can appeal to a lot of people and make money. They adjust the workings of the site accordingly, often without even faintly understanding how this impacts certain users.

Look at what happened to the animators. The old algorithm favored videos which were watched completely. So animations (which take an incredible amount of time to make) which were 3 or 4 minutes long, but were watched for the full 100% did really good! But then Youtube realized the retention of the site was too low and they wanted people to spend more time watching videos. So they changed the algorithm to favor watch time instead. Suddenly, animators saw their views and revenue drop, because YT wasn't pushing their 4 minute videos anymore, but instead was pushing videos with longer watch times. Let's plays skyrocketed, because even if people only watch 15 minutes of a 45 minute let's play, it was better than a full 4 minutes. This is also why vloggers and opinion channels suddenly tried to hit the 15 minute mark, because the algorithm favors it.
Did Youtube hate the animators? No. Did they purposely wanted to hurt their channels? No. Youtube steered their company in a different direction and did not even faintly realized what this would mean for a specific portion of their creators. Because they don't think that way.

So please stop refering to Youtube as an entity. It's a company. A platform. Don't expect miracles.
Hmmm makes total sense, thank you

I assume maybe only a certain number of YouTubers can do well. It appears YouTube subtracted some of my views. I had 53 views on 1 video then it went to 23 views.
i experienced that as well but they've gone up thankfully. I contacted youtube and they're doing that because they're deducting the "fake views" from the real ones. Basically those that didnt watch for more than 30 seconds were removed.

I don't think it's biased against small channels but if you've grown into a big channel, it will promote you up more often than if not.

But you have all the same tools and ability to grow as anyone else. So if no ones watching your vids, well..

Back