Does telling viewers to like and subscribe really make a difference?

It's been a thought on my mind for a while. The majority of major youtubers I watch always tell their viewers to like, subscribe and/or comment on every video, or at the very least have an end screen that says everything for them. In my opinion, I find it to be a little dirty doing that. If a viewer enjoys someone's content, more than likely they'll like or subscribe without anyone telling them.

...But is that really the case? I'm curious if there's some type of statistics sheet or something that shows a difference in likes and subscribers from those who tell their viewers to do it and those that don't.

I have always found it just to be apart of the YouTube culture. As early as I remember, "Don't forget to rate (like) comment, and subscribe!" has ALWAYS been at the end of the majority of Youtubers' videos. Thinking about it, it doesn't have a positive nor negative effect on me as a viewer, because I hear it so much, however it doesn't in any way deter me from taking action on their video. I have never said "oh nvm not subscribing" after anyone has said it.

I've always wondered if it made a difference. Basically all YouTubers do it, honestly it can't hurt to ask. If they want to subscribe, like or comment they will.

It's been a thought on my mind for a while. The majority of major youtubers I watch always tell their viewers to like, subscribe and/or comment on every video, or at the very least have an end screen that says everything for them. In my opinion, I find it to be a little dirty doing that. If a viewer enjoys someone's content, more than likely they'll like or subscribe without anyone telling them.

...But is that really the case? I'm curious if there's some type of statistics sheet or something that shows a difference in likes and subscribers from those who tell their viewers to do it and those that don't.

I think the main issue is that there are so many factors that affect whether people sub or comment. Therefore, you cannot narrow it down to one specific thing. I personally do it since I felt it's a proper conclusion. If someone doesn't subs due to me saying that, I won't lose any sleep over it. I think it's more of a preference or not but there are certainly other factors that are more important in getting subs.

I doubt it makes a ton of difference, but just reminding people might change a few minds. And a few minds are better than none, so I guess it's not gonna hurt you to do it.

There's indirect studies on suggestion in general that would point to it being helpful, but they're not directly applicable to YT to make a broad generalization IMO.

There's also people like me out there who loathe when people do this stuff, unless it's well after the actual content of the video had ended and they have a credits section or something, by which point I'm probably gone anyway. I find the whole "like, comment, subscribe" thing super annoying.

I don't find a problem with it if they have it at the end. I don't like it when they decide to do it before the content. At the end is when people will decide if they want to see more, so doing it at the start is basically begging. But that being said lots of people do it both ways and it doesn't really hurt there channel.

I have a background in psychology and without going super in-depth, there is no doubt a BIG difference if you tell people to like and subscribe. Understand that there are some people who are what I call "Action Now" people. You tell them to do something, especially if they like you or perceive you as someone of authority, they'll just listen and do it. Imagine being a kid and your parents are telling you to do something, or a person you have a crush on is telling you to do something. You just do it.

There is also the way you tell people to like and subscribe. If you simply beg them, that's usually not that effective. If you simply tell people, it's a little bit more effective. But if you use an IF statement like, "If you liked this video and like action games, then subscribe and like." An IF statement implies a value exchange. It's very powerful in marketing.

Also sometimes people have the intention of subscribing, but simply need a reminder. And some people are on the fence on whether to subscribe or not, and that simple call to action might get them to subscribe.

Another tip is to consider not giving people too many choices. Telling people to like, comment, subscribe, share this video, visit my website and watch my next might overwhelm them with choices causing them not to choose any. So choose only one or two. I'm able to bypass this by making a multiple choice and asking people, "If you like this video, then choose ONE of the following. a) subscribe and like, b) Listen to the share bear over there and show that you care, c) watch my latest video, or d) tell me to jump off a bridge." It's also a good tip to find a way to make it a no big deal if they don't subscribe. This is why I make option d), something that makes fun of myself.

I could talk all day on this topic. But believe me it makes a big difference. My subscribe rate multiplied by 5 when I started applying all this psychology.

Last edited:
In my outtro it read 'Please Like Share Subcribe'

Im sure in some cases it will make the viewer actually contribute.

Back