Does telling viewers to like and subscribe really make a difference?

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
on the one video i mentioned subscribing, its one of my lower performing videos XD and i saw no higher percentage of subs than any other of my videos with the same viewcount.
i may try it again in future, something like "wanna be notified when the next episode comes out? Subscribe so you never miss a video, and thank you for watching"

ill think about it.
i post so rarely that people subscribing are very important to me, they are easily going to forget my channel exists between each upload, so having that chance on their sub page is worth it i think,

Reactions: Crown

Kosmog

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a background in psychology and without going super in-depth, there is no doubt a BIG difference if you tell people to like and subscribe. Understand that there are some people who are what I call "Action Now" people. You tell them to do something, especially if they like you or perceive you as someone of authority, they'll just listen and do it. Imagine being a kid and your parents are telling you to do something, or a person you have a crush on is telling you to do something. You just do it.
Very good explanation. I am not referring only to the quoted one, but at your entire post.

Btw, I like your channel :)

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I usually say this at the end of my videos, but now thinking about it and reading this thread. It may be more effective to say it at the beginning of the video just because the retention percentage drops off quiet a bit from the first 30 seconds of my video to last last 30 seconds of it when i usually do the outro. I doubt it will really effect much but its nice to remind people that every sub/comment/like means a lot to you.

OneSpeak

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yea it helps a lot, most of viewers would hit sub if they showed it like Card or EndScreen.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

I don't think it makes a difference at all. It's one of those phrases that has been around for years on YouTube and I think people get sick of hearing it. Kind of like when in McDonalds they say "Have a nice day" - it goes in one ear and out the other.

Reactions: Sam4God

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'm still waiting on studies that look into how many people don't subscribe because they get annoyed by the typical "like, comment, subscribe, insert joke" thing.
That's way more interesting to me, solely because it's always glanced over.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on studies that look into how many people don't subscribe because they get annoyed by the typical "like, comment, subscribe, insert joke" thing.
That's way more interesting to me, solely because it's always glanced over.
If people are turned off by creators asking for support, then I wouldn't want them to support me anyway. Unless the creator is downright throwing the CTA in your face over and over again, a mere request to click like or support by subscribing doesn't seem to be asking much.

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I believe it definitely helps, I am personally more inclined to interact with a video whenever the youtuber does a call to action!

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If people are turned off by creators asking for support, then I wouldn't want them to support me anyway. Unless the creator is downright throwing the CTA in your face over and over again, a mere request to click like or support by subscribing doesn't seem to be asking much.
The outro is more than good enough for CTA. If the viewer manages to make it that far, that is.

Frostt316

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
In my outtro it says Like and Subscribe and I feel that it makes a little difference and can be useful in some cases