Does "Sub for sub" ever actually work?

I agree with everyone that sub4sub is a bad idea in general. But I wonder if it could depend on the type of channel/content you have? My channel, for instance, is quite weird. When people see my channel and the low number of views/subscribers, they will think, weird content, low views, nothing special.

Imagine if I had 1,000 subscribers, and loads of views, it would make my channel a lot more interesting. People would look at it and say, how does this rubbish have so many subs/views? Whereas, if you have a "normal" channel with 1,000 subs, it's still nothing special. No one would be surprised and say, wow how does this have so many subs? So I think in my case it might create some hype, drive more traffic, not for the content, but for the fact that it has subscribers and views. Of course with this you would still need to get views to match the subs, so you would need to spam the crap out of every video on places like reddit.

I'm not saying sub4sub is good even for my channel, but I'm saying that perhaps increasing your sub count could create some form of social approval. This social approval might be more beneficial to some channels than others.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that sub4sub is a bad idea in general. But I wonder if it could depend on the type of channel/content you have? My channel, for instance, is quite weird. When people see my channel and the low number of views/subscribers, they will think, weird content, low views, nothing special.

Imagine if I had 1,000 subscribers, and loads of views, it would make my channel a lot more interesting. People would look at it and say, how does this rubbish have so many subs/views? Whereas, if you have a "normal" channel with 1,000 subs, it's still nothing special. No one would be surprised and say, wow how does this have so many subs? So I think in my case it might create some hype, drive more traffic, not for the content, but for the fact that it has subscribers and views. Of course with this you would still need to get views to match the subs, so you would need to spam the crap out of every video on places like reddit.

I'm not saying sub4sub is good even for my channel, but I'm saying that perhaps increasing your sub count could create some form of social approval. This social approval might be more beneficial to some channels than others.
Yes, there is the catch 22, you need more viewers to get more subs, more subs could get more views. But even if the subs don't stay the short time they do stay could bring in real subs and more views. So I could see how it might be ok for a channel starting out.

Maybe I'm just grouchy tonight and I'm not trying to pick on you but sub 4 sub is just the worst thing you can possibly do on YouTube for so many reasons.

YouTube is a robot. It suggests what people watch based on a formula that they have publically stated has virtually nothing to do with subs. They do have a "channel authority" rating factor but it's like 1% of your total score. You could sub 4 sub your way to a million subscribers. It can be done. There was a guy on here who got to a million subs wihtout posting a single video. Once you get your million subs you can bot your own video to a million views. You will still get no views on your next video. But will probably have like 25,000 people unsubscribe your channel. Don't try and shortcut YouTube success.

Back