Does a channel trailer really matter?

I don't use a trailer and I find trailers extremely annoying because they auto-play when you go to the channel. That makes me either click off the channel immediately or hit 'pause' on the trailer. I'm big on viewers controlling their viewing experience... no auto-play if they didn't click on it, it shouldn't play... and I don't like non-skippable ads... if someone wants to see an ad, fine, if not, then they shouldn't be forced to do so. Forcing them to do so only encourages things like Ad Blocker which hurts us all. Do you need a trailer? Heck no, we get a million views a day and are in the top 1% of all YouTube and we didn't need no steeeenkin' annoying trailer! :) If someone doesn't know what your channel is about by seeing your thumbnails, or the "About" section, then you're not portraying your content correctly to begin with.

I don't use a trailer and I find trailers extremely annoying because they auto-play when you go to the channel. That makes me either click off the channel immediately or hit 'pause' on the trailer. I'm big on viewers controlling their viewing experience... no auto-play if they didn't click on it, it shouldn't play... and I don't like non-skippable ads... if someone wants to see an ad, fine, if not, then they shouldn't be forced to do so. Forcing them to do so only encourages things like Ad Blocker which hurts us all. Do you need a trailer? Heck no, we get a million views a day and are in the top 1% of all YouTube and we didn't need no steeeenkin' annoying trailer! :) If someone doesn't know what your channel is about by seeing your thumbnails, or the "About" section, then you're not portraying your content correctly to begin with.

You're really right about this, man. Wow you're really up there with YouTube huh? Over 200k subscribers, wow! How long have you been at YouTube for working on that? Maybe I'll be up there with ya one day, I can dream right? ;) I have my autoplay off for my trailer because I agree, it's annoying when you go to the channel and it starts playing automatically.

You're really right about this, man. Wow you're really up there with YouTube huh? Over 200k subscribers, wow! How long have you been at YouTube for working on that? Maybe I'll be up there with ya one day, I can dream right? ;) I have my autoplay off for my trailer because I agree, it's annoying when you go to the channel and it starts playing automatically.

You *can* be right up there! We started doing this as a 'business' on Jan 1, 2013 and we got up to $6 figures income on Adsense within 5 months and it's taken off from there. People make this thing rocket science and it's not. Pay attention to statistics, what goes big and what doesn't and why. And just know thousands of people are making $6 figures on YouTube, of COURSE you can too. It's not a pipe dream, too many people are doing it. You mostly hear about the big YouTube stars but quietly, under the radar, millionaires are being made and you've never (and probably never will) hear about them. Don't worry about subs and stardom, focus on getting view counts. Everything is laid out right in front of you in plain site/sight. You get big views, you get huge $$ Adsense on a scale that would blow your mind, and then come the branding deals. And you get time freedom and your life back. Don't just think you can do this, KNOW you can do this. YouTube is the best thing evah! Rocket.

You *can* be right up there! We started doing this as a 'business' on Jan 1, 2013 and we got up to $6 figures income on Adsense within 5 months and it's taken off from there. People make this thing rocket science and it's not. Pay attention to statistics, what goes big and what doesn't and why. And just know thousands of people are making $6 figures on YouTube, of COURSE you can too. It's not a pipe dream, too many people are doing it. You mostly hear about the big YouTube stars but quietly, under the radar, millionaires are being made and you've never (and probably never will) hear about them. Don't worry about subs and stardom, focus on getting view counts. Everything is laid out right in front of you in plain site/sight. You get big views, you get huge $$ Adsense on a scale that would blow your mind, and then come the branding deals. And you get time freedom and your life back. Don't just think you can do this, KNOW you can do this. YouTube is the best thing evah! Rocket.

Wow thank you for the motivation and words of wisdom. You're definitely very right about all the things you just said, I'm gonna start keeping an eye out more for these things. Thank you so much!!

If big Hollywood companies with professional marketing people think it's a good idea for them to release commercials for their movies and TV shows...... why wouldn't you at least try it for your channel?

Does it guarantee views? no
But if you put it in the right places it can help

I guess it boils down to if you like to hear a trailer start playing as soon as you visit someone's channel, make one yourself. If that bugs you, then why bug others visiting your channel? Just know if you do have a trailer it might be a good thing for you but you no doubt ARE forcing others off your page who don't like auto-play and blasting music as soon as they visit you. What % that is, I don't know. I don't want to possibly irritate anyone, not a single person, who took the time to visit my channel. That's just how I look at it. Even if it is 'overall good', I don't want anyone to have a negative experience.

If you feel like you can put together a video that encourages new folks to subscribe to the channel and still gives them an idea of who you are, then go for it. I personally just use some of my more popular videos as a channel trailer.

Honestly, I feel like it benefits bigger channels better than small ones. It's a good addition, and may somewhat help you if you decide to go with Adsense for promotion, but besides that...it's a short video and nothing more. I myself care very little for them and I'm sure many people share my philosophy haha :p

Back