does 4k quality matter or should i just leave it on 1080p

A couple of points why 4K is nothing but a gimmick right now:

1. People do not have the hardware to watch it
2. Many don't have the internet connection to buffer it
3. It costs an arm and a leg to be able to edit the stuff if you do not have 4K capable hardware / software.

A few years down the line it might become mainstream, and then is when you should make the switch. But even then nice HD footage is still fine. Many watch it on their iphones and ipads, and 1080p (or even 720p) looks stellar on those!

Don't bother. According to Steam stats, less than 2% of people have 4K monitors, and that's gamers who generally have much better hardware than the average person.

So if you think about the average person watching Youtube it's probably like 0.001% of 4K viewers lol

Plus, rendering and uploading 4K is going to take 4x the resources that 1080p does, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's cool Youtube offers the option but it's pretty pointless until it catches on more in the next few years...

Don't bother. According to Steam stats, less than 2% of people have 4K monitors, and that's gamers who generally have much better hardware than the average person.

So if you think about the average person watching Youtube it's probably like 0.001% of 4K viewers lol

Plus, rendering and uploading 4K is going to take 4x the resources that 1080p does, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's cool Youtube offers the option but it's pretty pointless until it catches on more in the next few years...
I agree that rendering is a pain in the a**, but I've received some comments on how good the quality is that makes me still dip into the 4K and 2.7 every once in a while. Here are some comments on my 2.7k dog park video, apparently it looks pretty nice but I won't know until I get a 4K monitor!
2.7k.jpg

I dont see the point in 4k YET. Maybe in the future it depends how well it takes off. But certainly for the time being it doesn't matter. 1080 60fps however is the way to go. If you can produce videos in that quality I would.

There was a time when HD was new and only a few people had the equipment to watch HD, now it's expected. That might happen with 4K soon particularly because computer monitor equipment turns over more quickly than livingroom televisions.

One concern is internet connections, even a decent fiber optic system can still struggle with 4K if there are a lot of other connections in the household running at the time, especially if it's wireless. But as someone pointed out, YouTube just takes it down to a lower resolution to optimize buffering speed.

I will probably go to the 4K format soon. The main reason is not people watching 4K content today, but it future-proofs your content for tomorrow. When 4K becomes standard, it would be nice to have an existing huge inventory of 4K videos. It keeps them relevant longer. But I will only do so when I upgrade all my gear next time, I wouldn't go to the expense of upgrading the computer, monitor, and camera apart from a normal end of cycle upgrade. At least that's my thinking. But well shot 1080p still surpasses poorly shot 4K, so lighting, composition, audio, and content will always remain king over resolution. But it's nice to get them all at once if you can!

The latest iphone 6s has 4k quality! That's insane when you think about how the DSLR cameras that most of us have are less quality than a phone now!

The latest iphone 6s has 4k quality! That's insane when you think about how the DSLR cameras that most of us have are less quality than a phone now!
Damn I guess they had to keep up with the LG phone. I use my iPhone 6 Plus whenever I'm not using my GoPros, it takes really nice video for a phone!

Damn I guess they had to keep up with the LG phone. I use my iPhone 6 Plus whenever I'm not using my GoPros, it takes really nice video for a phone!
I wish they came up with the water proof instead just like the samsung!
btw is that a random number of views you want to achieve as your goal haha I looked at it for a good 2 minutes

I wish they came up with the water proof instead just like the samsung!
btw is that a random number of views you want to achieve as your goal haha I looked at it for a good 2 minutes
lol! It will take me longer to reach that than it did to reach my subscriber goal

Back