Do YouTubers have a Responsibility to Moderate their Comments?

I dont know if i would delete bulling comments, but i would probably try to step in and isolate the conversation. Youtube has a great tool where you can type in words or phrases you want flagged in comments so you can review them before they go public on your video. I use this tools for spammers so things that get flagged are "my channel" "my video" "Check out" "My" it does a great job of not even letting those comments get put on your videos.

whilst you have a channel that is receiving less than 100 comments per video I think the creator should be responsible for cleaning out any hatred comments. once you get over that it becomes a bit difficult to keep control over, however If you see one I think that you should 100% remove it if it is hatred towards another viewer.

As for comments towards the creator thats totally up to them if they want to let it get to them or not.

I think that depends entirely on the youtuber. Every creator has the right to decide what happens on their channel. As for your second question I think everyone is responsible for their own actions. You can't control other people.

I haven't had many comments but I would only delete spam like sub4sub or any other such comments created by a bot. YouTube at its core is for people to express their ideas and views, how could I do that if I couldn't allow others to do it?

I think it partly depends on what people are saying, the type of community you want to build and what content you produce. If you make inflammatory roast type videos or political commentary, then expect that to reflect in the comments. But if say you have a cooking channel like me, then it's probably a bit different. I mean I'm not going to to delete a comment that is critical of a recipe, but I will delete and ban someone that's being racist, sexist, bullying discriminating in some way. It's not that I would try and police people's thoughts, but I don't want to build a community like that. It's not really happened to me yet though

Right now, whenever I see a hate comment, I delete them. Not because they are negative about my content, they are allowed too, but because they curse and they are clearly trolling. When you're bigger though, it becomes impossible to do it cause there are just so much of them. Best thing you can do is ignore them then. These guys need attention as their basic need and nothing pisses them off more if you refuse to give it to them.

generally the commenters police themselves, and sometimes if someone is being a douche, the other viewers have already responded to them and called them out before I get there.

I have deleted a few nasty comments because it just lowers the tone. Basic ones that just say crude things to me. But its bizarre because I'm not even in my videos much.

most of the spam isn't sub 4 sub anymore, but "can I reupload your video to do a dub" *sigh* -_- I give up taking them all down especially now I know they get your home information (ill stop ranting now)

I also have made a massive blacklist, and it keeps growing all the time. Whenever a new offensive phrase pops up, onto the blacklist it goes! I even put "check out my channel" as a blacklisted word, and now all that annoying spam is being caught in the filter. ^^

I started to heavily moderate the comments once I realized that I had a very wide range in age groups (with my 3rd-most watched being kids/teenagers) and a very international audience watching.

I think it depends on your audience and how you present yourself in your videos. If you are swearing all the time in your videos, then I don't think it would make as much sense to heavily moderate the comments for swear words.

Great idea for the blacklist! We need to incorporate that. Thanks!

Back