do you think there is a stigma with smaller channels

We're in the same boat. My subs have slowed, and I'm around 440-450 subs. But the thing is I think I know why by looking at my analytics. The videos they are subscribing to I haven't made in a long time, so I think it's time I returned to that style of video.

I release videos once a week, not really because of long editing. Trying to come up with new video ideas, trying to improve something in my videos every time.

But keep going, your videos are getting plenty of views!

hello newage , my point was really about all the great smaller channels out there defending there corners , I want to see amazing content,giving the smaller channels a chance instead of the pile of bilge recommended dodgy money making gaming channels , prank, cats ,drama , fights, because this gets views , doesn't help society , YouTube algorithms got to be better then that surely if it doesn't change it will kill itself off eventually , all the best with your channel newage hope you hit your goals , we'll keep at it , hopefully change it one video at a time[DOUBLEPOST=1468419424,1468419357][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know right :( That's why it's up to us to put some funny cool content out there!
yes hahaah i just got to become funny :)[DOUBLEPOST=1468419683][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yea I remember before I started youtube, and I didn't even look at youtubers under 100,000 subs. But I think we still must prevail through this because one, we love making videos, but two numbers shouldn't define a youtuber!

Well said Hiroto :) numbers don't define somebody its the character, get making the videos :) and i'll meet you on a recommended YouTube list one day

I agree that bigger channels look a lot more credible! But they had to work at it and deserve everything they have.

We smaller channels just have to slowly grow and one day take advantage of that same psychology. :D

I agree that bigger channels look a lot more credible! But they had to work at it and deserve everything they have.

We smaller channels just have to slowly grow and one day take advantage of that same psychology. :D

hi ShyGirl :) ( not so shy ) i cant totally agree with ya, in sum cases i know of a couple of gaming channels that have well over 3 million subs and 9 million exploiting there audience just for money they have now law suits flying at them , there channels should be deleted. Good channels totally agree there and rightly so.

Your channel is exactly what i'm talking about ! you have a voice and something to contribute to society and should be heard for your life's experience and views , I'm subbing and good luck to you on your journey Shy,

I think as content creators, we tend to over analyze a bit. Mainstream society tends to watch videos casually and whatever is on the front page or extremely popular/viral, that' what they're going to watch. Sure they might stumble upon a niche channel that caters to their particular interest but speaking in general terms, I don't think the average person surfing the net is really looking or even is aware of how many subs a content creator has. They're more interested in the video and quality.

Some people stated they are more inclined to sub to a channel that has more subs. I am the complete opposite. I find more popular channels (not all), to be quite boring to say the least. I am subscribed to a few popular channels but it has zero to do with how popular they are. I guess I gravitate towards smaller channels b/c it feels like more Youtube years ago; more personal etc.

Hi Inspirare, so i thought this might be the case , which is a shame really , you might be missing out on some brilliant content, at the end of the day you can always unsub to a channel if the content stopped , give them a chance and you might be surprised , all the best with your channel :)

some books need to be opened
Don't get me wrong - I have subscribed to tiny channels which I've seen grow from under 20 subscribers to over thousands. But it takes a lot more for me to subscribe to a smaller channel than it does for a bigger one. You are right though, I will do my best form now on to focus solely on the content I see rather than the subscriber count.

Content isn't even number 1. ( People will say you don't get views because you need better quality videos ).You need the chance at a view first before people even know if your content is good otherwise like you said you just get lost in the shuffle. Also depending on the type of video, view counts are seen as more valuable when choosing between 2 videos or more of the same topic when you have to pick one.

If im doing a review say, and somehow im even on the front page with only 5000 views but you got others that have 100 000+ then no one is gonna click mine by comparison.( Maybe an extreme example ) This is also why it slightly peeves me when people say ''dislikes'' help just as much as likes. On paper maybe but if im looking for a reliable source for a review or an informational video and that video has a questionable amount of dislikes, people probably aren't sticking around to figure out why it has been ill received and are just clicking around to find a better option that looks more trust worthy. So that isn't really doing you any favors when it comes to watch time and retention which is what the algorithm spoons with right now.

I think a stigma with smaller channels is kind of like 'Well, if they don't have that many subs they must be doing something wrong' and also vice versa if the youtube channel is big, they think 'they must be doing a good job!!'
I subscribe to someones channel if I like their content and I am subbed to and watch plenty of youtubers with less than 1k subs
But at the same time, I do agree that you can get lost in all of the semi-hiatus, very young and sometimes odd mix of channels with few subs, nothing wrong with any of those things, but there is a place! lmao
Its a shame that people with less subs are seen as 'not trying hard enough' or people blame their quality..

The best way to overcome this is to really be persistent with the work. No matter how depressing it gets, one day the hard work will pay off. Be sure to use your social media and promote your channel as much as possible with family and friends to truly grow! You can do it mate! ;)

I definitely don't judge who I sub to based on how many subs. I just sub'd a channel with 45 subs because I enjoyed the content their producing, which isn't of the highest quality either. At the same time, sometimes I think because I am currently on 87 subs, I treat other smaller YouTubers how I'd like to be treated if that makes sense.

I think rather than sub-count stigma it is what first impression they get (first video) after they watch something. If it is something with terrible editing/VFX/sound they just leave and never return :)

Back