do you think there is a stigma with smaller channels

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think rather than sub-count stigma it is what first impression they get (first video) after they watch something. If it is something with terrible editing/VFX/sound they just leave and never return :)
that's a different topic , I'm mentioned about quality channels that have done that already , because they have small enough subs viewers are unlikely to give them a chance, and youtube doesn't have anything in its algorithm to move these channels up in lists only based on watch time and views , well smaller channels don't have this in the amount needed to move up in the listings a catch 22[DOUBLEPOST=1468848239,1468848045][/DOUBLEPOST]
I definitely don't judge who I sub to based on how many subs. I just sub'd a channel with 45 subs because I enjoyed the content their producing, which isn't of the highest quality either. At the same time, sometimes I think because I am currently on 87 subs, I treat other smaller YouTubers how I'd like to be treated if that makes sense.
Hello Dan top Man :) , do you find, finding the channels is so much harder even if your willing to give the smaller channels a chance ? I know exactly what you mean, and you got the right idea support the smaller channels with fantastic content helps build a great network of channels people can view on Youtube with less then 100 subs[DOUBLEPOST=1468849027][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think as content creators, we tend to over analyze a bit. Mainstream society tends to watch videos casually and whatever is on the front page or extremely popular/viral, that' what they're going to watch. Sure they might stumble upon a niche channel that caters to their particular interest but speaking in general terms, I don't think the average person surfing the net is really looking or even is aware of how many subs a content creator has. They're more interested in the video and quality.

Some people stated they are more inclined to sub to a channel that has more subs. I am the complete opposite. I find more popular channels (not all), to be quite boring to say the least. I am subscribed to a few popular channels but it has zero to do with how popular they are. I guess I gravitate towards smaller channels b/c it feels like more Youtube years ago; more personal etc.
afternoon sanitary , haha yes i think Youtubers spend a lot of time watching there analytics pages :) almost like a game in itself :) i agree with you on the general consensus , the smaller channels won't even be on wide spread recommended pages youtube as its only seems about views and money for ad rev . I just wish Youtube could build far more sophisticated system then the TV networks do and giving people a wider choice of channels on searches then they do all ready, viewing retention must be higher on the analytics for youtube ranking channels so quality and not just view time as that's favouring bigger channels and not quality content

MyTrIx

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I understand what you are speaking about... On my side, I do this as a hobby... So I don't care if 100 000 view my video or only 1 person... If I make that person happy for the duration of my video... Than it's mission accomplished for me! But yeah, for sure, small channels are at a big disavantage, it's getting the first 100-200-300 subs is really a big challenge, even more if you don't do sub4sub or that kind of strategies... The day I won't like doing video anymore... Even if I have 1 000 000 subscribers, I will just stop doing it and move to something else, that's it! But I don't think this day will come, because I'm making videos about my passion!

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Content isn't even number 1. ( People will say you don't get views because you need better quality videos ).You need the chance at a view first before people even know if your content is good otherwise like you said you just get lost in the shuffle. Also depending on the type of video, view counts are seen as more valuable when choosing between 2 videos or more of the same topic when you have to pick one.

If im doing a review say, and somehow im even on the front page with only 5000 views but you got others that have 100 000+ then no one is gonna click mine by comparison.( Maybe an extreme example ) This is also why it slightly peeves me when people say ''dislikes'' help just as much as likes. On paper maybe but if im looking for a reliable source for a review or an informational video and that video has a questionable amount of dislikes, people probably aren't sticking around to figure out why it has been ill received and are just clicking around to find a better option that looks more trust worthy. So that isn't really doing you any favors when it comes to watch time and retention which is what the algorithm spoons with right now.
Hi Plague , yer its a massive catch 22 for smaller channels , but as others pointed out in this thread that its governed by money more views = more ad rev cash so they only going to support the bigger viewed videos even if the content or quality of the content is trash , for me personally we got to be trying to build a more rounded experience then the TV networks as we are not driven by you must show this programme from such network. We as intelligent, smaller quality content producers have a lot to offer youtube viewers and recommended pages . Hopefully we can change YouTube for the better in the future and support #SupportTheGreatSmallerYouTubers

also your second point, i would agree with you dislikes can defiantly hurt review channels as most will use this as a quick guide to the subject there are looking for. Good luck with your channel Plague in the future all the best to ya.

So please for the love of all that is holy, Youtube give the smaller fantastic youtube channels more of a chance to get there content out to the viewers, maybe do a once a week home page recommendations ,based on high retention say 95% above even if it only had 10,000 views or less, It must be Quality then and worth a watch

Last edited:

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If people choose to watch us small youtuber that's on them but small channel shouldn't give up because we are the future

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If people choose to watch us small youtuber that's on them but small channel shouldn't give up because we are the future
afternoon to ya Anjim , its not about giving up god no, but there seems a bit of a stigma to smaller channels because there is 3 figure subs , that the Content isn't good or worthy of a stop by and watch , we got to chance and give the quality smaller Ytubers a chance

Wimbus

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say yes, smaller channels are at a HUGE disadvantage. Before I started a channel, when I came across a small channel I would just click the back button, but now that I am a youtuber myself, I understand the struggle and I can honestly say I give channels of all sizes a fairly equal shot.

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say yes, smaller channels are at a HUGE disadvantage. Before I started a channel, when I came across a small channel I would just click the back button, but now that I am a youtuber myself, I understand the struggle and I can honestly say I give channels of all sizes a fairly equal shot.
hello Trivia Train Well done good to see , sometimes it takes to see what quality channels go through to get there content out there to not to be given a chance only because they have 40 subs for instance[DOUBLEPOST=1468851866,1468851059][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think a stigma with smaller channels is kind of like 'Well, if they don't have that many subs they must be doing something wrong' and also vice versa if the youtube channel is big, they think 'they must be doing a good job!!'
I subscribe to someones channel if I like their content and I am subbed to and watch plenty of youtubers with less than 1k subs
But at the same time, I do agree that you can get lost in all of the semi-hiatus, very young and sometimes odd mix of channels with few subs, nothing wrong with any of those things, but there is a place! lmao
Its a shame that people with less subs are seen as 'not trying hard enough' or people blame their quality..
hello Amber, totally agree with you and I have the same view as you , there is defiantly a stigma to smaller channels , and judging the content on the sub count and not just the content . #HopeYouTubeReadsThisThread[DOUBLEPOST=1468898639][/DOUBLEPOST]
I understand what you are speaking about... On my side, I do this as a hobby... So I don't care if 100 000 view my video or only 1 person... If I make that person happy for the duration of my video... Than it's mission accomplished for me! But yeah, for sure, small channels are at a big disavantage, it's getting the first 100-200-300 subs is really a big challenge, even more if you don't do sub4sub or that kind of strategies... The day I won't like doing video anymore... Even if I have 1 000 000 subscribers, I will just stop doing it and move to something else, that's it! But I don't think this day will come, because I'm making videos about my passion!
hi trix , i feel the same way to a point , important to get the really good content for smaller youtubers out there so people can see there channels , if we can fill some cinema's on the way to people enjoying the content that's great too , enjoy the youtube ride :)

Reactions: AmberAndGolden