Do you have a back up Plan?

KingUsher

I've Got It
Just finished watching Roberto Blake`s video about "What small YouTubers need to know" and heard a lot of interesting facts.The one fact that stood out the most was what would happen if youtube (Adsense closed down) do you have a back up plan even if you became a big you tuber?He also mentioned many poor youtubers who have a million subscribers,so for some of us who think once you get to a million subscribers life is easy this is a big shock.I would like to hear opinions on this cause even am still focused on university right now trying to complete my course for the backup plan.

I see it as an odd question as Adsense just would shut down. Or if it did it would just be replaced. Unless I am missing something here?

I see it as an odd question as Adsense just would shut down. Or if it did it would just be replaced. Unless I am missing something here?
Think of it as a what if this happened type of question.....because even i was surprised when he mentioned it but i see in simple terms as do you have a plan if you fail YouTube?

I think it's important to diversify away from YouTube once a channel starts getting big. The risk with Youtube isn't so much adsense disappearing - The biggest issue is that you are building a business that you don't own or have any control of. (It's all hosted by YouTube on their domain name)

It's a good idea to build website(s) that you own the domain name for and host yourself. That is a real asset that can be sold on as a going concern. On a website, you can have revenue streams like affiliate marketing, selling your own products and services and selling advertising directly. Basically any revenue stream other than adsense to offset the risk from having all the eggs in the adsense basket on YT.

I wouldn't say I'm aiming for YouTube to be my job (although I would like it to be). I would work elsewhere until it became more viable to upload than work!

Honestly, I think at this point it's wise (even for a huge YouTuber...actually maybe especially if you're a huge YouTuber) to have a revenue safety net in the form of something like Patreon. I think the days of depending entirely on Adsense are coming to an end at worst and are still unsafe either way. Honestly, while I would never hold it against someone for trying to make their living on the platform (neither do I subscribe to the idea that it's not a "real job"), it's still unsafe because your channel can get flagged or terminated and it's just too risky.

I don't see YouTube as an end-goal for my videos and puppetry. I have been using YouTube as a way to get my videos seen by people who would like to see more of what I do, whether that be regular viewers or people in charge of theaters or production companies who would be able to give me some sort of a hand up into a puppeteering contract or just want to hire me to make or perform puppets.

So AdSense, while a nice bonus for me, isn't what I rely on. I also have a full-time job that I absolutely love and that I get paid well enough to live on, so I don't mind doing this for free/very little money as I build up my audience.

There's this quote that i read somewhere that says "Never have a plan B because it distracts from plan A" and I totally agree with that. If you are so passionate about something that you can talk about it 24/7 then why in the world would you need a plan B.
So in my opinion a backup plan is stupid. And this doesn't just apply to Youtube. But it's your decision to have a backup plan no one will judge you.

Back