Do you have a back up Plan?

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

u2bGamer

Reaction score
No back up plan for me. I am doubling down on youtube and upgrading my equipment.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I did my college degree so I guess that's a backup option, the good news is I majored in Media & Information so creating video content isn't too far off what I studied. However, I'm maxing my effort on YouTube right now but trying to learn lots of things as I go along in case they're relevant to any job opportunities in the future.

I enjoyed that livestream by Roberto too, more for the other parts where he was talking about ranking your videos and analyzing Jake Paul's video adjustments. Still he always tries to alert people to diversifying their income streams, and right or wrong about the potential for adsense to just shut down it's still a good idea to diversify. Personally it's a market with too much money I think to shut down any time soon with no replacement. Online video has too much money involved to just disappear unless something replaced it completely.

Reactions: KingUsher

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Youtube is my backup plan lol :D Seriously, I made on youtube around 50$ in one year. You think I can live with that money if I don`t have something else? :) . But the topic is if youtube is your main income should you have some backup plan. That is not even a question. Definitely, if you have an even more stable income you should have some backup plan and not some all time changing beast like youtube.

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's important to diversify away from YouTube once a channel starts getting big. The risk with Youtube isn't so much adsense disappearing - The biggest issue is that you are building a business that you don't own or have any control of. (It's all hosted by YouTube on their domain name)

It's a good idea to build website(s) that you own the domain name for and host yourself. That is a real asset that can be sold on as a going concern. On a website, you can have revenue streams like affiliate marketing, selling your own products and services and selling advertising directly. Basically any revenue stream other than adsense to offset the risk from having all the eggs in the adsense basket on YT.
Right,I did notice big YouTubers such as angryjoe,nostalgia critic and many others having their own websites and always asking fans to follow them to their sites.
I don't see YouTube as an end-goal for my videos and puppetry. I have been using YouTube as a way to get my videos seen by people who would like to see more of what I do, whether that be regular viewers or people in charge of theaters or production companies who would be able to give me some sort of a hand up into a puppeteering contract or just want to hire me to make or perform puppets.

So AdSense, while a nice bonus for me, isn't what I rely on. I also have a full-time job that I absolutely love and that I get paid well enough to live on, so I don't mind doing this for free/very little money as I build up my audience.
But do you ever consider going full time on youtube?and if yes,do you have a goal you want reach before going full time?such as how many subscribers or other things? i am interested mainly because i feel like i will need to make this decision after am done with university.
There's this quote that i read somewhere that says "Never have a plan B because it distracts from plan A" and I totally agree with that. If you are so passionate about something that you can talk about it 24/7 then why in the world would you need a plan B.
So in my opinion a backup plan is stupid. And this doesn't just apply to Youtube. But it's your decision to have a backup plan no one will judge you.
I nearly did that when i started and got too excited but one has to be careful these days.If someone got like 100,000 subs in 2 months or so,yes this would be the correct path to follow but if low subs and views then i would not .

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
But do you ever consider going full time on youtube?and if yes,do you have a goal you want reach before going full time?such as how many subscribers or other things? i am interested mainly because i feel like i will need to make this decision after am done with university.
I think AdSense is too variable to rely on to make my living solely through uploading YouTube videos. It's not something I'm going to consider, unless it's connected with another (or several other) forms of compensation. Now, if I had a large enough audience (let's say over 500K subscribers), I'd probably find a way of making merchandise and selling that in order to supplement an income, and I'd try to leverage that audience into a more "mainstream" way of having my content featured. YouTube is a great platform, but it's still so volatile that I don't think I would feel comfortable trying to make my living just from that.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I already have a job I'm working & already make no money off YouTube so my backup plan is already being executed xD